Wireless connection question ...

Old July 24th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ellada

Default Wireless connection question ...

Hello People,

I currently have a wired home network with 3 computers connected to a single
router (Netgear RP614 v2).

However, I want one of the computers to connect to my router via a wireless
connection instead of cable. How would I do this ??

I guess I need to plug some type of transmitter/receiver into the current
RJ45 port of my router and use a wireless PCI card in the PC. Am I right? If
so, any suggestions on which products are good. I don't really want to
switch to a wireless router if I can avoid it.

Is this a viable option as my router and PC are about 15 meters away from
each other & there's one ceiling and a wall in the way?

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Old July 24th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Ellada wrote:
Hello People,

I currently have a wired home network with 3 computers connected to a single
router (Netgear RP614 v2).

However, I want one of the computers to connect to my router via a wireless
connection instead of cable. How would I do this ??

I guess I need to plug some type of transmitter/receiver into the current
RJ45 port of my router and use a wireless PCI card in the PC. Am I right? If
so, any suggestions on which products are good. I don't really want to
switch to a wireless router if I can avoid it.

Is this a viable option as my router and PC are about 15 meters away from
each other & there's one ceiling and a wall in the way?

The transmitter/receiver you speak of is called a Wireless Access Point.
Basically it is as you said, connect it to the router and put a wireless
NIC into the PC.
I've had good results with Netgear equipment, another person I know uses
Buffalo, and people seem to like Linksys.