Message pop-ups across network

Old July 24th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MJP

Default Message pop-ups across network

"Keith" wrote in message
I've two desktops and a laptop, all wireless linked by Linksys, and all
running Win ME. My profoundly deaf daughter has a desktop machine in her
bedroom, and methinks it would be handy to be able to pop-up "tea's ready"
style messages on her screen. Can anyone suggest a suitable application?

Thanks
--
Keith

Windows ME incorporates a program called winpopup. This is not usually
installed by default, this program will do the necessary for your needs.

MJP

Old July 24th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Keith

In message , MJP writes

"Keith" wrote in message
I've two desktops and a laptop, all wireless linked by Linksys, and all
running Win ME. My profoundly deaf daughter has a desktop machine in her
bedroom, and methinks it would be handy to be able to pop-up "tea's ready"
style messages on her screen. Can anyone suggest a suitable application?

Thanks
--
Keith

Windows ME incorporates a program called winpopup. This is not usually
installed by default, this program will do the necessary for your needs.

MJP

Many thanks, a-googling I shall go, now I know what to look for!
--
Keith
Old July 25th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:06:30 GMT, Keith
wrote:

In message , MJP writes
"Keith" wrote in message
I've two desktops and a laptop, all wireless linked by Linksys, and all
running Win ME. My profoundly deaf daughter has a desktop machine in her
bedroom, and methinks it would be handy to be able to pop-up "tea's ready"
style messages on her screen. Can anyone suggest a suitable application?

Windows ME incorporates a program called winpopup. This is not usually
installed by default, this program will do the necessary for your needs.

Many thanks, a-googling I shall go, now I know what to look for!

Winpopup will do the job, but if one of you already has an instant
chat program such as MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, this will also
work and will be more useful for other additional tasks such as
chatting to her friends online. However, as with all software, the
more fully-featured ("bloated") the program, the less secure it is. If
you already have specific concerns that she or your network may be the
target of unwanted attention then stick with winpopup.

http://messenger.msn.com/
http://messenger.yahoo.com/

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old July 25th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

"Keith" wrote in message
I've two desktops and a laptop, all wireless linked by Linksys, and all
running Win ME. My profoundly deaf daughter has a desktop machine in her
bedroom, and methinks it would be handy to be able to pop-up "tea's
ready" style messages on her screen. Can anyone suggest a suitable
application?

I use Neildopop from http://www.neildo.demon.co.uk/

The site seems to be down at the moment but I have a copy of the "tiny"
program if you want to try it out.

Steven.

Old July 26th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ellada

I like the sound of this "winpopup" messaging. Can it work on different
operating systems on the same network ?

e.g. Can an XP send a message to a Win98 workstation??

can the "net send computername themessage" command be used in the 'run'
function of all windows operating systems ???

Thanks,

Nick.

Can messages be sent to

Old July 26th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Lawn

"Ellada" wrote in message
. uk...
I like the sound of this "winpopup" messaging. Can it work on different
operating systems on the same network ?

e.g. Can an XP send a message to a Win98 workstation??

can the "net send computername themessage" command be used in the 'run'
function of all windows operating systems ???

Thanks,

Nick.

the NT-type OSes (NT, win2k, xp) need 'messenger' service running; older
ones - 98, win me need 'winpopup' installing
if you do that you can send to any of them.
type it in 'run' or from a command prompt or from batch files etc

bob

Old July 26th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Keith

In message ,
Steven Campbell writes

I use Neildopop from http://www.neildo.demon.co.uk/

The site seems to be down at the moment but I have a copy of the "tiny"
program if you want to try it out.

Steven.

Thanks Steven, winpopup does exactly what is says on the tin, and the
bemused look on daughter's face the first time I used it was a picture!

cheers
--
Keith
Old July 26th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ellada

Cheers Bob,

Looks like I need to reinstall windows messenger on the XP systems and I'm
sorted.

Thanks.

Nick

"Bob Lawn" wrote in message

. uk...

Old July 26th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Lawn

"Ellada" wrote in message
k...
Cheers Bob,

Looks like I need to reinstall windows messenger on the XP systems and I'm
sorted.

Thanks.

Nick

no, not windows messenger - this is something else.
there is a 'messenger' service which is a basic part of xp.
right-click 'my computer'
go to 'manage'
then look in list of services at the bottom in the 'services and
applications' bit
should see 'messenger' service
that line should say 'messenger .... started ...... automatic ...
localsystem'
if it doesn't, double-click the service and set it to start automatically.

bob