Password win2k/win 98

Old July 25th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Optiglaze

Default Password win2k/win 98

When I try to look at a win2k machine from my win98 machine I am asked for a
password.
I have tried the password for the user currently logged on & administrator
but no joy.

Any ideas,

Cheers,
Rick

Old July 25th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Optiglaze

"Optiglaze" wrote in message
When I try to look at a win2k machine from my win98 machine I am asked for

password.
I have tried the password for the user currently logged on & administrator
but no joy.

Any ideas,

Cheers,
Rick

Found this, posting in case its of any use to anyone else

.. Why is Windows 98 asking for password?
lbyard Apr-17-01 08:44 PM

Right-click My Computer, Manage, System Tools, expand Local Users and
Groups to Users, in the right pane, right-click the Guest account,
Properties, uncheck Disable this account, and make sure the password is set
blank, OK. Make sure the hard disk has a share name other than C$. Larry

Old July 25th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Optiglaze wrote:
When I try to look at a win2k machine from my win98 machine I am asked for a
password.
I have tried the password for the user currently logged on & administrator
but no joy.

Any ideas,

Cheers,
Rick

Is the password asked for referring to IPC$. If so it can mean that you
either don't have Guest enabled on the W2K machine, or the W2K machine
has no account/password set up the same as the one you use on the W98
machine.
You can eanble Guest on the W2K machine, as you found out, or..
Set up an account on the W2K machine with the same name and password as
that you sue to login to the W98 machine (or change the W98 machine to
match an account on the W2K machine).