Help with installing an access point

Old July 25th 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

Default Help with installing an access point

I'm having great difficulty installing a Netgear Access point and would
appreciate some guidance.
I'm running XP Pro and have a Draytek Vigor router for access to broadband.
I thought all I would have to do is plug in the Netgear 102 access point in
to the Vigor and I could start using it!!

Anyway I have configured the access point by plugging it in to the USB port
and given it it's own address. I can now ping it via a cmd prompt. But I
can't get my PDA to connect to it which was the main reason for getting it.

Should I be making any configuration changes to the router?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steven.

Old July 25th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 25/07/2005 Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm having great difficulty installing a Netgear Access point and
would appreciate some guidance.
I'm running XP Pro and have a Draytek Vigor router for access to
broadband. I thought all I would have to do is plug in the Netgear
102 access point in to the Vigor and I could start using it!!

Anyway I have configured the access point by plugging it in to the
USB port and given it it's own address. I can now ping it via a cmd
prompt. But I can't get my PDA to connect to it which was the main
reason for getting it.

Should I be making any configuration changes to the router?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steven.

I have a Linksys WAP plugged into a Draytek Vigor and it works the way
I think you want yours to.

My settings a
Draytek
Fixed address 192.168.1.1
DHCP 0n
WAP Off

Linksys
Fixed address 192.168.1.2
DHCP Off
Wap On

This way anything using the Linksys WAP gets routed to the Draytek to
pick up an IP address.

Is the IP address you allocated to the Netgear perhaps clashing with
another network address? Or is DHCP on in both pieces of kit?

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
http://www.jgaines.me.uk/
Old July 25th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
"Steven Campbell" says...
I'm having great difficulty installing a Netgear Access point and would
appreciate some guidance.
I'm running XP Pro and have a Draytek Vigor router for access to

broadband.
I thought all I would have to do is plug in the Netgear 102 access point

in
to the Vigor and I could start using it!!

Anyway I have configured the access point by plugging it in to the USB

port
and given it it's own address. I can now ping it via a cmd prompt. But

can't get my PDA to connect to it which was the main reason for getting

it.

Should I be making any configuration changes to the router?

ME102? There's not much to configure. Fire up the SNMP Manager
software, on the encryption tab select Shared Key, enter a key in one
of the boxes, select that box and click the Upgrade button. Now
configure your PDA to use the same type of encryption (WEP 40/64 or
128 bit depending on the firmware in the AP) and the same key, and
tell it to use your router as its default gateway.

Thanks to both of you. I've now managed to get my PDA to recognise the
access point. Unfortunately that is all it does!!

It doesn't receive any packets. It's as if they can see each other but can't
communicate properly.

I have a feeling though it is now a connection setting in my Axim x50v that
is at fault and I need to do a hard reset. But that is the last thing I want
to do.

Steven.

Old July 26th 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Lawn

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

It doesn't receive any packets. It's as if they can see each other but
can't
communicate properly.

I have a feeling though it is now a connection setting in my Axim x50v
that
is at fault and I need to do a hard reset. But that is the last thing I
want
to do.

Steven.

the network config on pda's is rather confusing, admittedly, but i'd try and
avoid a hard reset.
you can reinitialise the config by removing any existing settings and then
doing a soft reset.
when it comes back up, it should detect the presence of wireless and prompt
for the necessary details.
i'd think the most likely problem concerns getting the encryption protocol
and keys exactly the same and checking that your pda is getting ip number
etc as the previous poster mentioned.
if everything is working, you should be able to ping the pda frm the pc as
well, whether cradled or not.
you can get vxutil from www.cam.com - it's free and handy for basic
troubleshooting from the pda end.

bob

Old July 26th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

"Bob Lawn" wrote in message

[...]

Cheers Bob I'll take a look.

When I try to select a page in Internet Explorer on my PDA it tells me that
"It is unable to connect: You have no modem entries created, and no network
card present"

I used to connect to the net on my PDA by hooking it up to my mobile via
Bluetooth.

Its now as if when I select Internet Explorer it automatically looks for a
mobile / modem connection!! The same even happens when it is in the cradle
connected to the PC.

Steven.

Old July 26th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Lawn

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

When I try to select a page in Internet Explorer on my PDA it tells me
that
"It is unable to connect: You have no modem entries created, and no
network
card present"

does the pda have an lcd or anything to show that the wireless is a)enabled
and b)active?
from the above it looks like either it doesn't recognise that there is a
wireless card or that there is no network bound to it.

bob

Old July 26th 05, 11:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

"Bob Lawn" wrote in message

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message

When I try to select a page in Internet Explorer on my PDA it tells me
that
"It is unable to connect: You have no modem entries created, and no
network
card present"

does the pda have an lcd or anything to show that the wireless is

a)enabled
and b)active?
from the above it looks like either it doesn't recognise that there is a
wireless card or that there is no network bound to it.

It has a strength indicator in the bottom right of the screen which is at
full strength. Although in the stats section it states that no packets have
been received.

What is also strange is that if I have wifi on and drive up the road, I get
loads of pop up boxes informing me the PDA has found various networks and
would I like to join them. Yet when I arrive home I don't get the same pop
up box.
I'm beginning to think I either haven't set up the access point properly or
it is not working properly.

Steven.

Old July 27th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

"Jon" wrote in message
declared for all the world to hear...
What is also strange is that if I have wifi on and drive up the road, I

get
loads of pop up boxes informing me the PDA has found various networks

and
would I like to join them. Yet when I arrive home I don't get the same

pop
up box.
I'm beginning to think I either haven't set up the access point properly

or
it is not working properly.

Have you anywhere to delete theh connection entry and start again? I had
to do this with my PDA (AN Orange SPV-M2000 phone/PDA)

With wireless mode on try start settings Connections wlan tools
network cards. You should see a list of available networks. Tap and

hold on your network and delete it.

Swith WLAN off, wait a few seconds then switch it back on, hopefully
your network will be detected, choose "the internet" and then enter your
WEP key.

Thanks Jon. I done as you suggested and yes it gave me the pop up box with
the option of connecting to my network. However every password I entered got
rejected even although I know I definitely entered it correctly. Just
tapping on connect with no password was accepted. But like before, it shows
it is connected etc but no packets have been received i.e. it looks like it
has joined my network but can't do anything else.

Steven.