Wireless Network query

Old July 26th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Todger O'Toole

Default Wireless Network query

Just got a Netgear wireless router WGT624, its connected to my NTL cable
modem and hard wired to my PCs network socket and internet access is fine.
I can also surf wirelessly on my laptop using the netgear WG511T pcmcia
card. No probs with that side of it.
But I decided to try and set up a network between my hard wired dell pc - XP
Home and the Sony laptop XP Pro via the wireless link. Tried using the
Network wizard and the Wireless network wizard to no avail. Don't need
anything magnificent - just the ability to transfer a few files and maybe
print something when surfing in the back garden???
Any thoughts?
Guy at work said I probably need a wireless pci card or usb dongle for the
Dell pc, but I would have thought that as it was hard wired to the wireless
router (and the network wizard diagram shows a similar setup) that I could
use the laptops wireless connection to the router etc etc........... but
what do I know?
Any help greatly appreciated

Old July 26th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Todger O'Toole wrote:
[...]

You definitely do not need a wireless adapter for the Dell. I have a
Netgear wireless router (MR314) and have three big boxes wired to it and
a portable connecting via radio, and they all network fine.

When you say 'to no avail', what actually happened to make you decide it
hasn't worked? Did any error messages pop up, or did the wizard appear
to work? If so, what doesn't work now?

If the setup seems to have worked, go into a command prompt and type
IPCONFIG on both machines, and let's see what that says.

Have you shared at least one folder on each machine? If not, they won't
have anything to 'see' on each other.

Old July 26th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Todger O'Toole

"John Fryatt" wrote in message
Todger O'Toole wrote:
[...]

John
thanks for speedy reply, am going to start afresh. stupid question .. which
wizard should I be using to set up the network........wireless or ordinary
as it seems to be a bit of both??
todger
PS Sorry - pressed the wrong button and sent this by email first and not to
the Group.

Old July 26th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 26/07/2005 Todger O'Toole wrote:

John
thanks for speedy reply, am going to start afresh. stupid question
.. which wizard should I be using to set up the
network........wireless or ordinary as it seems to be a bit of both??
todger

I expect John will reply but I would advise against using the network
wizard, in my experience its main purpose is to screw up your settings
:-)

The network as such exists so you don't need to set anything else up
but you do need to share any folders you want to see on each PC. Right
click on them in Explorer, select 'Sharing' if it appears or else
Properties then the 'Sharing' tab and then add each user you want to
share. It is *much* easier if you use exactly the same user name and
password on each PC.

It's the same procedure for the printer, select it in Control Panel in
the PC it's attached to then right click and select 'Sharing'.

There are some slight differences between XP Home and Pro so shout if
things don't show as described.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Old July 26th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Todger O'Toole wrote:

[...]

I am not sure about wizards, to be honest. Sometime they are ok, but
sometimes just seem to confuse the issue to me. As Jeff said, you must
have a TCP/IP network in existence for the Internet connection to be
working. Now you need to get the file sharing etc. sorted out.

For simplicity, set up accounts on both machines with the same name and
password. Make both machines have the same workgroup name (can be
anything as long as it's the same for both).
To check workgroup name right-click My Computer on the Start menu.
Choose Properites then Computer Name. If necessary, click Change and
make the workgroup names the same. Make sure the button for Workgroup is
checked, not Domain.

On your Start menu, select Connect To/Show All Connections
Hopefully you will see, under LAN or High Speed Internet, and entry like
'Local Area Connection'
Right-click it and choose Properties. I'm seeing these entries
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
are yours the same? (We can check settings later if need be, but this is
just a first basic check)

Do IPCONFIG as I suggested before, just to check that setup.

Share at least one directory on each machine.

I think that is enough to be going on with. Try all that and come back.

Cheers, John

Old July 26th 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Todger O'Toole

Todger O'Toole wrote:

[...]

will do all tomorrow afternoon........got to work at 5am
thanks for help so far
Todger

Old July 27th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Todger O'Toole

Todger O'Toole wrote:
"John Fryatt" wrote in message

snipped

[...]

Hi John

Pleased to say I got it sorted this afternoon, I had to configure my
firewall to allow each pc to access each other............ even printed
wirelessly from the laptop.
Many thanks for your help...... really appreciated
best regards
Todger