Wall mounting router

Old July 27th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Goff

Default Wall mounting router

I want to go wireless and am considering the NG DG834GT, my main criteria is
to wall mount but will this cause overheating of components? Comments
welcome on product and mounting.
Anyone had experience of wall mounting?

--
Replace "+" with "plus" to email me

Old July 27th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:36:44 +0100, "Jeremy Goff"
wrote:

Anyone had experience of wall mounting?

no, but quite a lot of kit has keyhole screw mounts for the purpose so
one imagines it is designed to do it.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 27th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Oakley

wrote:
I want to go wireless and am considering the NG DG834GT, my main criteria is
to wall mount but will this cause overheating of components? Comments
welcome on product and mounting.

In general, have a look at where the air holes are on the product.
Generally you want those pointing up so that the hot air can rise out
of the box. If there are holes on more than one side, try to feel
around to see which are hotter and put those on the up side.

Another obvious thing to check is that it is possible to orient the
antenna upwards. Some have 3D swivels, some only 2D, some only 1D. If
your antenna has only 2D or 1D swivel, consider replacing the antenna
with one that is more flexible.

A final option is to keep your wireless router in place, and buy an
seperate access point which is more suited to wall mounting which you
can run in Repeater mode (not all access points offer this; check the
specs on the box).

Anyone had experience of wall mounting?

Yup. My D-Link access points have screw fittings moulded in the base
and a 3D antenna swivel. I have one sitting on the shelf in my study
connected to my router (via a Linux server), another screwed to the
wall in my garden shed acting as a repeater.

Also consider "power over ethernet", whereby you can run DC voltage
over normal LAN cable, if you have a particular problem placing your
access point (eg. in the loft where there may be no mains electricity
outlets). Most brands can have this feature, you normally have to buy
a seperate Power Over Ethernet kit.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old July 27th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Goff

wrote:
I want to go wireless and am considering the NG DG834GT, my main criteria

is
to wall mount but will this cause overheating of components? Comments
welcome on product and mounting.

In general, have a look at where the air holes are on the product.
Generally you want those pointing up so that the hot air can rise out
of the box. If there are holes on more than one side, try to feel
around to see which are hotter and put those on the up side.

Another obvious thing to check is that it is possible to orient the
antenna upwards. Some have 3D swivels, some only 2D, some only 1D. If
your antenna has only 2D or 1D swivel, consider replacing the antenna
with one that is more flexible.

Surely it wouldn't matter if the antenna pointed downwards?

Jerry

Old July 27th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim..

"Jeremy Goff" wrote in message
I want to go wireless and am considering the NG DG834GT, my main criteria

is
to wall mount but will this cause overheating of components? Comments
welcome on product and mounting.
Anyone had experience of wall mounting?

I have a DG834G v2 and they do not come with key slots for wall mounting.
However I have wall mounted mine with alittle DIY using the vertical stand
brackets the DG comes with.

All you need do is attach the plastic stands along the long edge of the DG
instead of the narrow edge so the LEDs face down and the aerial / RJ's
upwards, then fashion 2 right angle brackets with two sets of screw holes in
them.

One set screws the brackets + DG to the wall, and the 2nd set bolt (I used
some small BA nuts and bolts) the brackets to the plastic stands.

Bit hard to describe but if you have a DG in your hand, stands attached
you'll see how I mean. Works a treat and with care all your screws / bolts
are hidden behind the DG.

I can take a pic of mine for anyone interested.

Tim..

Old July 27th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:08:15 +0100, ComPCs
wrote:

Netgear seem not to, but Draytek and D-Link certainly have.

Belkin too, and I think Linksys (the small square Tesco variety at
least)

Phil
Old July 27th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Oakley

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:40:00 +0100, "Jeremy Goff"
wrote:
"Andrew Oakley" wrote in message
.. .
Another obvious thing to check is that it is possible to orient the
antenna upwards. Some have 3D swivels, some only 2D, some only 1D. If
your antenna has only 2D or 1D swivel, consider replacing the antenna
with one that is more flexible.

Surely it wouldn't matter if the antenna pointed downwards?

Quite right - should have read "vertically", although to be honest all
that matters is the originating antenna is aligned on the same axis as
the clients' antennas.

Actually if it were on the top floor of a tall house, I wonder if
pointing the antenna downwards would actually give a slight coverage
gain?

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old July 27th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sniffer

wrote:

Surely it wouldn't matter if the antenna pointed downwards?

Jerry

No it wouldn't. The problem would be that it with the router wall mounted,
the antenna would lie virtually up (or down) against the wall. For best RF
propogation, the antenna should be at least half a wavelength from the
nearest obstruction, which in the case of WiFi (2.4GHz) is approximately
13cm.