Wireless Internet - Belkin F5D9012UK

Old July 28th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dan roberts

Default Wireless Internet - Belkin F5D9012UK

Hi.

I have just brought the Belkin F5D9012UK to try and set up wireless net
access in my house. We only have 1 phone socket which is in the lounge, the
PC is upstairs in the spare room and thus we have a lovely white extension
cable running all the way up the stairs! Great fun for nearly killing
yourself on in the mornings, but not very good for anything else!

I was hoping to be able to have the modem downstairs and thus have no cables
running around the house to the PC. But it appears that this kit needs you
have the RJ45 ethernet cable plugged into the back of it directly from the
PC, well since our PC is upstairs that sort of defeats the object of having
a wireless router/modem.

Does anyone know if i will be able set this up so my pc connects to the net
wirelessly with ths modem,, or are there any others that don't require
ethernet cables being plugged into the back of it from the PC. I see that
this modem would be good for a wireless network since only 1 pc needs to be
directly connected and the rest wireless, but since we only have the 1 pc it
seems kind of useless!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old July 28th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:32:20 -0500, "dan
wrote:
I have just brought the Belkin F5D9012UK to try and set up wireless net

I was hoping to be able to have the modem downstairs and thus have no cables
running around the house to the PC. But it appears that this kit needs you
have the RJ45 ethernet cable plugged into the back of it directly from the
PC, well since our PC is upstairs that sort of defeats the object of having
a wireless router/modem.

You may need the ethernet cable plugged in to configure the wireless
router/modem, for instance to set up your ADSL account username and
password. It is also possible that the wireless bit is switched off by
default, you may need to switch wireless on in the configuration also
(normally you would also choose between open and secure WEP/WPA mode
too).

However, once configured, you should be able to disconnect the
ethernet cable and connect to the Internet wirelessly.

Can I just check the obvious - do you have a wireless card or wireless
USB dongle or wireless adaptor for the PC?

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old July 28th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dan roberts

Hi again.

Just read some infon on another forum about modem/routers in general and i
think i may have sorted it.

The way i see it is; i will need to connect the ethernet cable to the modem
and pc to set-up the modem/router and format it correctly and then i should
be able to unplug it, move it downstairs and operate it on a purely wireless
basis.

I'll try this tonight and if i have no luck i'll post again and hopefully
get some help.

Cheers.

Old July 28th 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dan roberts

Hi.

Thanks for the reply, i must have been posting my 2nd comment at the same
time as you!

Yes i have USB wireless dongle that came with the modem/router. I think i
have to connect it to the pc with the ethernet cable to set it up and then i
should be able to disconnect it and just use the wireless. If i completely
unplug the modem and move it downstairs do you think it will re-set itself?
Not sure if my cable will strecth all the way downstairs, may do i'll have
to have a look.

Cheers.

Old July 28th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:55:17 -0500, "dan
wrote:
should be able to disconnect it and just use the wireless. If i completely
unplug the modem and move it downstairs do you think it will re-set itself?
Not sure if my cable will strecth all the way downstairs, may do i'll have
to have a look.

Most router/modems will retain their settings when unplugged, even
during power cuts.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old July 28th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick

wrote:
should be able to disconnect it and just use the wireless. If i completely
unplug the modem and move it downstairs do you think it will re-set itself?
Not sure if my cable will strecth all the way downstairs, may do i'll have
to have a look.

Most router/modems will retain their settings when unplugged, even
during power cuts.

Yup, I switch mine off every night with no ill effects.

Old July 28th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dan roberts

Thought they might.

Cheers for the info.

Old July 28th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:23:10 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

"Andrew Oakley" wrote in message
Most router/modems will retain their settings when unplugged, even
during power cuts.

Yup, I switch mine off every night with no ill effects.

Mine *usually* does. I have had it scramble its settings after a
lightning strike, even despite use of a surge protector. That said,
mine's a cheapo nobrand 30 quid job, and not wireless, plus I live Owt
In The Sticks (Cotswolds) where the power supply is a little less
refined than our townie cousins.

http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category....d=4&subcatid=1

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com