Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

Old July 28th 05, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
No One Realy

Default Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
equipment.

The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
line of site.

The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.

Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
to the PC in the shed.

Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
devices other than mouse and keyboards.

Thanks for any help.

Old July 28th 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:05:13 +1000, No One Realy No one.com wrote:

Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
line of site.

20 metres should be easy for most wireless equipment through most
modern building materials such as plasterboard, brick, glass or wood.

If you have solid stone walls, such as Cotswold stone or sandstone,
you will probably have difficulty. Also reinforced concrete, where
metal rods or a metal mesh add strength to concrete, will usually
present problems. Clay roof tiles also block wireless, so if your
router is upstairs in the house, and the shed is single-storey with
tiles, you may have problems.

If possible, place both the router and the PC near a window.

If you suspect you might have distance problems, consider some of the
more cutting edge (more expensive) wireless systems such as "Pre-N"
which claim to give considerably better distance coverage. Note that
to get that extra coverage you will need "Pre-N" on both the router
and the PC.

Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
to the internet.

No, providing you buy an all-in-one "Wireless Router".

If you are on ADSL (broadband over a normal phone line such as BT)
then you will want a "Wireless ADSL Router". This may also be called a
"Wireless ADSL Modem Router".

If you are on Cable (broadband over cable TV lines such as Telewest or
NTL) then you will want a "Wireless Cable Router". This may also be
called a "Wireless Cable Broadband Router".

Most wireless routers come with encryption. To prevent malicious use
of your wireless network, you should make sure you are running a
firewall on your PC, or using encryption such as WPA on the router, or
both. Note that if you do not use encryption on your wireless network,
neighbours and passers-by may be able to use your broadband for free.
You may or may not want this. I think it is a community-spirited
neighbourly thing to do, some people think it encourages freeloaders.
It depends how generous and how experienced with computer security you
are.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com