Adding W98 PC to wireless network

Old July 28th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

Default Adding W98 PC to wireless network

I'm having trouble adding a Windows 98 PC to my wireless network.

At the moment when I double click Neighbourhood Networking all I get is the
torch and the egg timer.

Old July 28th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
I'm having trouble adding a Windows 98 PC to my wireless network.

At the moment when I double click Neighbourhood Networking all I get is
the torch and the egg timer.

BTW

The W98 is sharing the wireless router fine with the XP machines. I just
can't see them on the network.

Old July 28th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:03:45 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

The W98 is sharing the wireless router fine with the XP machines. I just
can't see them on the network.

so it is able to access the internet - so you know TCP/IP is working ?

does the 98 machine have Microsoft File & Printer sharing enabled /
bound to the wireless adaptor.

Doe sit have a password/username that matches one on the XP machines,
or do the XP machines have "guest" enabled ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 29th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:55:31 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

I don't use a username/password on any PC.

put 'cmd' in the Run box of Start on the XP machines and then type
'net user' this will show the list of users. You may not see the
usernames but they are there.

this could be part of your problem, as the XP machines may be refusing
to accept a connection from an unauthorised user.

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html may help

Phil
Old July 29th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

wrote:

I don't use a username/password on any PC.

put 'cmd' in the Run box of Start on the XP machines and then type
'net user' this will show the list of users. You may not see the
usernames but they are there.

this could be part of your problem, as the XP machines may be refusing
to accept a connection from an unauthorised user.

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html may help

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Haven't read the article yet but when I do that I get the line:

C:\Documents and settings\Trevor

and nothing else.

I ran the network set up disk on an XP PC yesterday and made the floppy to
run on the 98 PC. After that the 98 can't even access the internet or the
router.

Old July 29th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

wrote:

I don't use a username/password on any PC.

put 'cmd' in the Run box of Start on the XP machines and then type
'net user' this will show the list of users. You may not see the
usernames but they are there.

this could be part of your problem, as the XP machines may be refusing
to accept a connection from an unauthorised user.

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html may help

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Have bnow assigned an IP address manually but can't ping the 98 PC.

Old July 29th 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:57:56 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Haven't read the article yet but when I do that I get the line:
C:\Documents and settings\Trevor
and nothing else.

that is what you get by typing 'cmd'
at that prompt you type 'net user'

I ran the network set up disk on an XP PC yesterday and
made the floppy to run on the 98 PC. After that the 98
can't even access the internet or the router.

what did you imagine you were doing ? setting it up to share the
internet via the XP machine ? I'm not sure what "I ran the network
set up disk on an XP PC" means.

Phil
Old July 29th 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:28:11 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Have bnow assigned an IP address manually but can't ping the 98 PC.

what IP address and subnet mask do you have on the 98 PC and an
example XP PC ?

Phil
Old July 29th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

wrote:

Haven't read the article yet but when I do that I get the line:
C:\Documents and settings\Trevor
and nothing else.

that is what you get by typing 'cmd'
at that prompt you type 'net user'

I ran the network set up disk on an XP PC yesterday and
made the floppy to run on the 98 PC. After that the 98
can't even access the internet or the router.

what did you imagine you were doing ? setting it up to share the
internet via the XP machine ? I'm not sure what "I ran the network
set up disk on an XP PC" means.

I thought I had to do this to add the 98 PC to my network?!

Old July 29th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

wrote:

Haven't read the article yet but when I do that I get the line:
C:\Documents and settings\Trevor
and nothing else.

that is what you get by typing 'cmd'
at that prompt you type 'net user'

I ran the network set up disk on an XP PC yesterday and
made the floppy to run on the 98 PC. After that the 98
can't even access the internet or the router.

what did you imagine you were doing ? setting it up to share the
internet via the XP machine ? I'm not sure what "I ran the network
set up disk on an XP PC" means.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Just the XP PC showing not the 98