Is it my NIC modem, router or hub

Old July 28th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Default Is it my NIC modem, router or hub

Hey all

Got back from a hol 3 days ago, and having trouble getting wesbites on all
machines, same goes with email. can be ok then often have to keep hitting
refresh etc etc.

Only thing that seems to be ok is the online radio 2. OE, FF etc all
intermitant so i cant play online.

IS there a way to see if its BY's fault or my hardware? i know i can plug
the modem direct into one machine but thats a struggle to do.
ta

Old July 29th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:16:14 GMT, "Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales"
wrote:
Got back from a hol 3 days ago, and having trouble getting wesbites on all
machines, same goes with email. can be ok then often have to keep hitting
refresh etc etc.

Only thing that seems to be ok is the online radio 2. OE, FF etc all
intermitant so i cant play online.

IS there a way to see if its BY's fault or my hardware? i know i can plug
the modem direct into one machine but thats a struggle to do.

That's really quite odd. It could be any of the things you're
suggesting. The first thing I'd do is run traceroute to some of the
sites that aren't performing well. Traceroute allow us to examine
where a network problem is, in the long chain of connections.

For example, in Windows 2000/XP, supposing I had a problem with
www.yahoo.com , I'd do:

Start menu - Run
Type: cmd
Press return
A black box should appear on the screen (sometimes called "DOS")
Type: tracert www.yahoo.com
Press return

This should give you a bunch of technical-looking numbers and domain
names. We now need to copy that and paste it here for everyone to read
through.

Hold down ALT and press space. A menu should appear.

Select Edit - Mark

Drag out a white box from the top-left to the bottom-right of the
window (make sure it cover all the technical info in the window).

Press return. This should copy the technical stuff to the clipboard.

Now paste that stuff in to a reply here on uk.comp.home-networking and
we'll be able to use that information to help us diagnose your
problem.

Can you do that for two or three different sites please?

Also can you do it for some British ones and some American ones?

--
Andrew Oakley