lost connection

Old July 29th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JIP

Default lost connection

Greetings, one of the desktops in my network has stopped connecting.

I have main desktop hardwired into a Linksys modem/router, then a laptop and
a second desktop connected via wireless adapters. All use WinXP SP2 and all
have the free Zonealarm. This setup has worked fine for some time. Now,
although main desktop and laptop are still working fine - both connect to
the network and internet - the second desktop has dropped out. When I switch
on, the icon in the system tray shows that the signal strength is good, but
there's a message "This connection has limited or no connectivity".

If I look at the properties of the connection in Control Panel/Network
Connections, it tells me Signal strength good, limited or no connectivity,
IP address 169.254.37.35, subnet mask 255.255.00, automatic private address.

The same info from the main desktop says IP address 192.168.1.101,
255.255.255.0, assigned by DHCP

The same info from the laptop says IP address 192.168.1.100, 255.255.255.0,
assigned by DHCP

If on the problem PC I use the option to "Repair" it ends with a message
"could not finish repairing - can't complete renewing IP address".

Using ipconfig /all it says, amongst other things, DHCP enabled.

Any ideas welcome please

Old July 30th 05, 03:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"JIP" says...
[...]

169.254.*.* means it couldn't get an address via DHCP so it made one
up - I'd try setting the address manually and see what happens.
Old July 30th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JIP

Could you tell me how to do that please?

Old July 30th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JIP

Could you tell me how to do that please?

Old July 30th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JIP

Fixed it! Started the process of making a new connection but discovered
along the way that an option to allow Windows to configure the network was
unchecked - checked it, and all fired into life. How that got unchecked I
have no idea, but it's working anyway.

Thanks for your help. But I'd still like to know how to enter the IP address
manually, just in case, and just to learn anyway.

Old July 30th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JIP

Cheers!