Simple Home Network (not so simple)

Old July 29th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Patrick White

Default Simple Home Network (not so simple)

Hi all

Can someone assist me with the following problem..

I have the following:

1 x Desktop (XP)
1 x Laptop (XP)
1 x DLink Wireless Router/ADSL

I can access the internet from both computers using via the router, however
I cannot seem to transfer files from one computer to the other?

I have used the Network Setup Wizard in XP with no avail.

As soon as I plug in the LAN cable from the Desktop into the Router, it
disables the Wireless Connection....

Thanks in Advance

Pat

Old July 30th 05, 08:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:36:17 +1000, "Patrick White"
wrote:

I can access the internet from both computers using via the router, however
I cannot seem to transfer files from one computer to the other?

ensure File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks and Client for MS
Networks is present on the relevant connections.

share at least one folder on each machine

Go to TCP/IP Properties, Advanced button, WINS tab and select "Enable
NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

from a command prompt use 'net user' to see what accounts exist. The
same account/password needs to exist on all PCs alternatively enable
Guest access on them all.

check workgroup name is the same on all PCs and the computer name is
different.

use \\compname in the Run box of Start to see services shared on PC
called compname - more reliable than the browser/

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 30th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Lawn

wrote:

I can access the internet from both computers using via the router,
however
I cannot seem to transfer files from one computer to the other?

ensure File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks and Client for MS
Networks is present on the relevant connections.

share at least one folder on each machine

Go to TCP/IP Properties, Advanced button, WINS tab and select "Enable
NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

from a command prompt use 'net user' to see what accounts exist. The
same account/password needs to exist on all PCs alternatively enable
Guest access on them all.

check workgroup name is the same on all PCs and the computer name is
different.

use \\compname in the Run box of Start to see services shared on PC
called compname - more reliable than the browser/

also tick the 'file and printer sharing' box in the firewall exceptions if
you have the firewall turned on.

bob

Old July 30th 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Patrick White says...
Hi all

Can someone assist me with the following problem..

I have the following:

1 x Desktop (XP)
1 x Laptop (XP)
1 x DLink Wireless Router/ADSL

I can access the internet from both computers using via the router, however
I cannot seem to transfer files from one computer to the other?

I have used the Network Setup Wizard in XP with no avail.

As soon as I plug in the LAN cable from the Desktop into the Router, it
disables the Wireless Connection....

Assuming Service Pack 2.

Control Panel, Windows Firewall. Click on Exceptions and make sure File
and Printer Sharing is ticked.

Next Start, run and type in \\ip address of other machine, i.e
\\192.168.0.2 - give it a while and a window should open showing any
shares.

--
Conor