Help again!!

Old July 30th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Default Help again!!

Following on from my post below 'Network help please??'

I have installed the recommended PCI cards and they have installed ok. I
plugged in my cable directly into each network card, note I am not using a
hub or switch.

I have run XP and thought I had successfully set up home network on both
PC's. I rebooted as asked by XP and I got a blue screen of death with the
message....

A problem detected by windows so it has now shutdown

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

etc etc

In Network Connection I have under Lan or High Speed Internet

1394
Connection 3

Local Area Connection
4

Local Area Network
5

I am not sure why I have two connection and when my PC boots it keep saying
network cable not plugged in as if it is looking for a connection that
doesn't exist. As I write this I have two red crosses through connection
icons and as I say if I not plug in my cable now the PC crashes and I have
to reboot, so as you can see I am totally stuck.

As you can see I have no idea about setting up a network and was hoping XP
would make it easy.

If there is a person in the UK who would let me call them so they can talk
me through this that would be fantastic and please feel free to email me in
private! Or if there is a good basic website to talk me through it then
that would help.

Yours hopefully

Graham

Old July 30th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 30/07/2005 Graham wrote:

Following on from my post below 'Network help please??'

I have installed the recommended PCI cards and they have installed
ok. I plugged in my cable directly into each network card, note I am
not using a hub or switch.

I have run XP and thought I had successfully set up home network on
both PC's. I rebooted as asked by XP and I got a blue screen of
death with the message....

A problem detected by windows so it has now shutdown

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Often a hardware error, CPU overheating or bad RAM. You may have
dislodged something when you put the NIC's in? Worth checking.

In Network Connection I have under Lan or High Speed Internet

1394
Connection 3

This is a Firewire network, you can ignore it for your purposes.

Local Area Connection 4
Local Area Network 5
I am not sure why I have two connection and when my PC boots it keep
saying network cable not plugged in as if it is looking for a
connection that doesn't exist. As I write this I have two red
crosses through connection icons and as I say if I not plug in my
cable now the PC crashes and I have to reboot, so as you can see I am
totally stuck.

OK, one of these will be the new NIC, have you got an onboard LAN that
may be the other one? If not it may be worth deleting them both then
re-booting and let XP find it/them again.

In a 2 PC network I would recommend using fixed IP addresses for
simplicity. You can do this:

Control Panel | Network Connections
Identify the connection for your new NIC, right click on it and select
properties.
In the dialog that pops up, about half way down you will see 'Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP), click on this to highlight it then click the
'Properties' button.
Another dialog will appear, you need the 'General' tab.
For the PC that is connected to the Internet select 'Use the Following
IP Address' and enter '192.168.0.1' then tab and the Subnet Mask should
set itself to 255.255.255.0.

Click 'ok' to close the various dialogs, you shouldn't need to re-boot.

Do the same on the second PC but use an IP Address of '192.168.0.2'.

The PC's *should* now be able to talk to each other. Check by opening a
Command Prompt on each PC and do:

type ipconfig and press return, you should see:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

The IP addresses returned should be the ones you entered.

Then in the Command Window for the PC with the 192.168.0.2 address do:

type ping 192.168.0.1 and press return, you should see:

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

The times may be different on your PC.

Do the same with the other PC but ping 192.168.0.2 and you should get a
similar result.

Give that a go and report back :-)

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Old July 30th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Hi Jeff

Thanks a million for the reply.

Have done as you asked and all worked fine, only difference was that when I
ran the ipconfig there was nothing in the Default Gateway so went back in
and entered it manually, hope that was ok?

Also, under

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Mine says Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection.

So is that it?

As for the crashes they cannot be hardware as it ONLY happens when I plug in
the network lead and only then, surely too coincidental to be overheating at
that moment? Have looked inside and nothing seems disturbed, so will see if
I get anymore all seems well at the moment. Will try a boot now with lead
connected and see what happens. Fingers crossed

Thanks again

Graham

Old July 30th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 30/07/2005 Graham wrote:

Hi Jeff

Thanks a million for the reply.

Have done as you asked and all worked fine, only difference was that
when I ran the ipconfig there was nothing in the Default Gateway so
went back in and entered it manually, hope that was ok?

Yes, fine, it should be 192.168.0.1 on both PC's.

Also, under

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Mine says Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection.

So is that it?

Yes, I was copying and pasting from my laptop which has a wireless
adaptor.

As for the crashes they cannot be hardware as it ONLY happens when I
plug in the network lead and only then, surely too coincidental to be
overheating at that moment? Have looked inside and nothing seems
disturbed, so will see if I get anymore all seems well at the moment.
Will try a boot now with lead connected and see what happens.
Fingers crossed

Probably best not to plug in the network leads while the PC is on?

Good luck :-)

Old July 30th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Hi Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Only one crash and that was when I turned off my second (Client?) PC is that
right? It caused my main (server?) PC to go to Blue Screen again, once
rebooted both PC's all was fine, but my main PC doesn't like the other one
not being on??

Old July 30th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 30/07/2005 Graham wrote:

Hi Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Only one crash and that was when I turned off my second (Client?) PC
is that right? It caused my main (server?) PC to go to Blue Screen
again, once rebooted both PC's all was fine, but my main PC doesn't
like the other one not being on??

Well I've never heard of a PC getting lonely but there's always a first
time :-)

Keep and eye on it, as long as the network cable is left in you should
be able to turn either PC on/off without affecting the other. It is
possible that one of the NIC's is faulty.

The key question though is does Flight Sim work the way you want it to?

Old July 30th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Just discovered I need a copy of all addon sceneries and aircraft to run on
second PC, so could be a long day and Wideview has 39 setup pages...gulp!!

Will post back when all running.

Old July 30th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Hi Jeff

To bring you up to date, the Flightsim Wide thing works ok, but the second
screen is very jerky even with good frame rates, so back to the manual :-)

As for this network, it seems my main PC doesn't like the second one being
switched off when connected. Even if I shut down the second PC or unplug
the lead my main PC crashes to a Blue screen everytime and I have to reboot.
Other than that everything works fine, so a bit of a puzzler really.

Cheers

Graham

Old July 30th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 30/07/2005 Graham wrote:

Hi Jeff

To bring you up to date, the Flightsim Wide thing works ok, but the
second screen is very jerky even with good frame rates, so back to
the manual :-)

As for this network, it seems my main PC doesn't like the second one
being switched off when connected. Even if I shut down the second PC
or unplug the lead my main PC crashes to a Blue screen everytime and
I have to reboot. Other than that everything works fine, so a bit of
a puzzler really.

I suspect dual/treble monitors would be an easier route :-)

It may be worth checking that the NIC is firmly pushed home and not
wobbling about, it is possible that the NIC is defective, if it doesn't
clear up may be worth trying to get it replaced?