Wireless bridging at home

Old August 1st 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
envy

Default Wireless bridging at home

Dear all,

I wonder if you could help me out with a following setup.

Currently I have:

an ADSL connection (ends with an ADSL modem)
a Linksys AP connected to it
Which provides me with a wireless network at my home.

What I am trying to do:

I need to have an internet connection where my TV stands. Unfortunately, the
device I need to have an internet connection to is not and cannot be Wifi
compliant (its a satelite tuner). Thus I am thinking of buying the second
AP, placing it where my TV stands, connecting it with an ethernet cable to
my sat tuner, and connecting it through Wifi to my ADSL modem in another
room. My question is simple- is this possible at all, and if yes, how?

Thank you in advance,

Liudvikas

Old August 1st 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"envy" wrote in message
Dear all,

I wonder if you could help me out with a following setup.

Currently I have:

an ADSL connection (ends with an ADSL modem)
a Linksys AP connected to it
Which provides me with a wireless network at my home.

What I am trying to do:

I need to have an internet connection where my TV stands. Unfortunately,
the device I need to have an internet connection to is not and cannot be
Wifi compliant (its a satelite tuner). Thus I am thinking of buying the
second AP, placing it where my TV stands, connecting it with an ethernet
cable to my sat tuner, and connecting it through Wifi to my ADSL modem in
another room. My question is simple- is this possible at all, and if yes,
how?

Some APs do allow bridging. Restrictions tend to be: 1) it only applies to
standalone APs and not to an AP built into a router/modem; 2) bridging only
works between two APs of the same type. So in your case you'd be OK - you'd
just need to buy another AP of the same type as the one you've already got -
as long as that model supports bridging.

I'm almost certain that two Dlink 2100 APs can be configured to bridge, and
no doubt other manufacturers such as Netgear and Linksys have bridgeable
APs.

Usually there's a menu option in the AP's web interface that allows the AP
to be configured in Ad Hoc, Infrastructure, Bridge or Repeater mode. For
Bridge or Repeater modes, you supply the MAC address of the other AP (ie AP1
is configured with AP2's MAC and AP2 is configured with AP1's MAC).

I set up a bridged network like this a while ago. I think I was able to use
the router as DHCP server and that all devices, whether on the router's LAN
segment or the remote, bridged LAN segment, got allocated IP addresses. If
that doesn't work, you may need to assign static IP addresses to the remote
PCs (ie the Sky box in your case) and exclude those from the router's DHCP
scope. Either way, you'll need both APs to be given static addresses in the
right subnet and exclude those from the scope.

Old August 1st 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:07:24 +0300, "envy" wrote:

Thus I am thinking of buying the second
AP, placing it where my TV stands, connecting it with an ethernet cable to
my sat tuner, and connecting it through Wifi to my ADSL modem in another
room. My question is simple- is this possible at all, and if yes, how?

buy a "wireless bridge "or "games adapter"

a linksys WET11 or WET54G perhaps

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 1st 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:50:10 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:
I'm almost certain that two Dlink 2100 APs can be configured to bridge,

Yes, I'd expect that too. I have had two Dlink 700APs bridging with no
problem.

The trick seems to be keeping the same brand and same "class", eg. if
your AP is 802.11b then stick with 802.11b; if it's 802.11g then stick
with 802.11g . In *therory* it shouldn't make a difference, but in my
experience, in practice, it does. Certainly couldn't get 22 megabit
kit to co-operate with 802.11a kit even when I explicitly set the 22
megabit kit down to 11a.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com