aerial direction

Old August 1st 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

Default aerial direction

I've got a wireless router/modem upstairs and want to connect to a laptop
downstairs and out in the garden, but seem to have a few problems.

Although it works and I have set the laptop up to receive the SSID/channel
and set the adapter to full power (I tend to run the laptop off the mains),
I get drop outs occasionally where despite the moitoring software saying
that it is conneted and signal strength and quality is well over 50%, I'm
simply not getting out to the internet. I must admit I'm not patient so,
instead of waiting ans waiting, I try to reconnect and this usually works
after a couple of goes.

The question is, should i wait, or is there something wrong with the set up
of the router/modem? I've looked (its a 3com) in the settings but it doesn't
say anything about timeouts for the wireless settings. It just talks about
enabling and disabling and encryption. I've set the connection type to
"always connected".

The adaptor by the way is a 3com USB 11g.

The other problem is with the signal to the laptop. If I am in the room
directly below the router/modem the signal is strong and only drops out once
or twice, but move to the other sid eof the house and although the signal
and quality remain high, it drops out more often. Would reorienting the
aerials help? And in any case, do the signals from the aerials rediate out
vertically or horizontally from an upright aerial?

Thanks for any help as cant see a way to solve these riddles at present.

Old August 1st 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:29:32 +0100, "F9" wrote:

Would reorienting the
aerials help? And in any case, do the signals from the aerials rediate out
vertically or horizontally from an upright aerial?

some kind of doughnut pattern, try putting the antennae at 45 ° and if
there are two put them at different angles for diversity.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 1st 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:29:32 +0100, "F9" wrote:

Would reorienting the
aerials help? And in any case, do the signals from the aerials rediate out
vertically or horizontally from an upright aerial?

some kind of doughnut pattern, try putting the antennae at 45 ° and if
there are two put them at different angles for diversity.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)

Thanks. Will try that.