Adding 4th XP PC to home network manually

Old August 1st 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

Default Adding 4th XP PC to home network manually

For some reason my 4th PC won't work with the flash drive when it comes to
adding it to my home wireless network.

I have the printout which shows the Network Key etc, but I can't for the
life of me work out where I put it (so to speak)

Help!

Old August 1st 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
For some reason my 4th PC won't work with the flash drive when it comes to
adding it to my home wireless network.

I have the printout which shows the Network Key etc, but I can't for the
life of me work out where I put it (so to speak)

Help!

Using a Vigor 2600Gi wireless router. This 4th PC can access the internet
through the router, but when I click view wireless networks it doesn't show
any.

Old August 1st 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

The PC I'm trying to set up seems to need a 13 character key, but the key I
have printed out from one of the other computers is 26 characters long?

Old August 1st 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 01/08/2005 Trevor Appleton wrote:

The PC I'm trying to set up seems to need a 13 character key, but the
key I have printed out from one of the other computers is 26
characters long?

Have you got 64 bit WEP on one PC and 128 bit WEP on t'other?

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7

Old August 1st 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 01/08/2005 Trevor Appleton wrote:

How do I check?

Working a bit in the dark here :-)
What exactly is it that needs the key, a wireless adaptor?

Old August 1st 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 01/08/2005 Trevor Appleton wrote:

How do I check?

Working a bit in the dark here :-)
What exactly is it that needs the key, a wireless adaptor?

I ran the wireless network set up wizard on my main PC. That then asks me to
put a flash drive in and then go and put that in each of my other PC's.

On the PC in question it said it probably wouldn't work automatically.

I printed off the network settings, that includes a 26 digit key, but the
machine I am trying to set up only seems to expect a 13 or 5 digit key.

Old August 1st 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 01/08/2005 Trevor Appleton wrote:

I ran the wireless network set up wizard on my main PC. That then
asks me to put a flash drive in and then go and put that in each of
my other PC's.

On the PC in question it said it probably wouldn't work automatically.

I printed off the network settings, that includes a 26 digit key, but
the machine I am trying to set up only seems to expect a 13 or 5
digit key.

Still a bit short of info. Is the 'problem' PC running the same OS as
the others?

I don't know what wireless device is in the problem PC, have you
checked its documentation (or website) to see it is 64 bit or 128 bit
WEEP? You will need to set the network up to use the 'lowest common
denominator' i.e. if one device only accepts 64 bit WEP you'll have to
set them all up to use 64 bit WEP.

Old August 1st 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

[...]

They are all running XP.

The problem PC has a belkin wireless network card with 64/129 bit encryption

Old August 1st 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 01/08/2005 Trevor Appleton wrote:

They are all running XP.

The problem PC has a belkin wireless network card with 64/129 bit
encryption

It's odd they are behaving differently. Do the Belkin docs tell you how
to turn on 128 bit WEP, looks like that's what's needed?