Sharing folders and printer

Old August 2nd 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

Default Sharing folders and printer

I'm able to share my internet connection with my desktop and laptop
computers and would now like to share files and a printer but don't know
how to set this up. Can I ask for advice on the set-up procedure please.
In my desktop I have a Netgear network card given to me as a free gift,
I'm also using a Belkin ADSL modem and router model F5D/7632-4 and a
Belkin laptop network card model F5D7010 in my laptop with Windows XP on
both computers. Can someone help?
Alan
Old August 2nd 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 02/08/2005 Alan wrote:

I'm able to share my internet connection with my desktop and laptop
computers and would now like to share files and a printer but don't
know how to set this up. Can I ask for advice on the set-up
procedure please. In my desktop I have a Netgear network card given
to me as a free gift, I'm also using a Belkin ADSL modem and router
model F5D/7632-4 and a Belkin laptop network card model F5D7010 in
my laptop with Windows XP on both computers. Can someone help? Alan

It's a similar procedure for both folders and printers. It is *much*
easier if you use the same user name and password to log on to each PC.

For folders:
Open Explorer, right click on the folder to be shared and select
'Sharing and Security' from the menu then follow it through by
selecting 'Share This Folder' then clicking on 'Permissions' to set up
who can share and whether they can read, write or have full access. If
'Sharing and Security' is not on the menu then choose 'Properties' and
select the 'Sharing' tab.

For printers:
Select 'Printers & Faxes' in control panel, right click and select
'Sharing' and follow through as above.

This is in XP Pro, Home may be slightly different. Also if you have
'Use Simple File Sharing' selected in Folder Options there may be
slight differences.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7