Can I skimp on antivirus

Old August 3rd 05, 07:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
G. Ormless

Default Can I skimp on antivirus

I am a home networking newbie and I haven't gone wireless yet.

I have a newish PC that I'll call 'A', running Windows XP home edition and
McAfee antivirus, with Windows firewall enabled (I've read a bit about the
limitations of Windows firewall).

My DSL broadband modem connects directly to PC 'A' via USB cable.

My older PC, 'B', runs on Windows ME and its network interface card / NIC is
connected to 'A's NIC via Ethernet switch using straight patch cables. No
virus checker on that PC (!)

My question is, when I access the internet from PC 'B' using Internet
Connection Sharing / ICS, does PC 'A' effectively filter incoming data for
viruses, as all data goes through its USB port?

Thanks for letting me know,

G.

Old August 3rd 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

G. Ormless wrote:
I am a home networking newbie and I haven't gone wireless yet.

I have a newish PC that I'll call 'A', running Windows XP home
edition and McAfee antivirus, with Windows firewall enabled (I've
read a bit about the limitations of Windows firewall).

My DSL broadband modem connects directly to PC 'A' via USB cable.

My older PC, 'B', runs on Windows ME and its network interface card /
NIC is connected to 'A's NIC via Ethernet switch using straight patch
cables. No virus checker on that PC (!)

My question is, when I access the internet from PC 'B' using Internet
Connection Sharing / ICS, does PC 'A' effectively filter incoming
data for viruses, as all data goes through its USB port?

No.

There are free virus checkers. Use one of them if it's a cost issue

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old August 3rd 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Linker3000

G. Ormless wrote:
I am a home networking newbie and I haven't gone wireless yet.

I have a newish PC that I'll call 'A', running Windows XP home edition and
McAfee antivirus, with Windows firewall enabled (I've read a bit about the
limitations of Windows firewall).

My DSL broadband modem connects directly to PC 'A' via USB cable.

My older PC, 'B', runs on Windows ME and its network interface card / NIC is
connected to 'A's NIC via Ethernet switch using straight patch cables. No
virus checker on that PC (!)

My question is, when I access the internet from PC 'B' using Internet
Connection Sharing / ICS, does PC 'A' effectively filter incoming data for
viruses, as all data goes through its USB port?

Thanks for letting me know,

G.

Don't skimp - download and install the free edition of AVG antivirus
from Grisoft on both PCs.