Bridging between wireless router and access point?

Old August 3rd 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Hutchings

Default Bridging between wireless router and access point?

I have a wireless ADSL modem/router upstairs (Linksys WAG54G).

Downstairs I have (or hopefully will have) a Mac Mini with no wireless
but onboard ethernet.

If I get a dirt cheap wireless access point that supports bridging/WDS
(such as a Netgear ME102) am I right in thinking I should be able to put
it downstairs with the Mini, configure the access point to connect to
the wireless network that the Linksys "hosts", and then connect the Mac
to the access point with a CAT5 cable, and I'll be able to access the
Internet via the Linksys ADSL router?

Hope that makes sense!

cheers,
Paul

Old August 4th 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking
Bruce Horrocks

In message , Paul
Hutchings writes
I have a wireless ADSL modem/router upstairs (Linksys WAG54G).

Downstairs I have (or hopefully will have) a Mac Mini with no wireless
but onboard ethernet.

If I get a dirt cheap wireless access point that supports bridging/WDS
(such as a Netgear ME102) am I right in thinking I should be able to put
it downstairs with the Mini, configure the access point to connect to
the wireless network that the Linksys "hosts", and then connect the Mac
to the access point with a CAT5 cable, and I'll be able to access the
Internet via the Linksys ADSL router?

Hope that makes sense!

Yes it makes sense. Right idea but wrong product though - you don't want
an access point (because that allows computers with wireless to connect
to a wired network). What you want is a wireless to ethernet bridge.

I use the older version of the DLink GWL-D810
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241 to connect an old Mac running
8.6. The Mac thinks that it is connected to a wired network and runs
quite happily.

Regards,

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey
Old August 4th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:54:06 +0100, Paul Hutchings
wrote:

If I get a dirt cheap wireless access point that supports bridging/WDS
(such as a Netgear ME102) am I right in thinking I should be able to put
it downstairs with the Mini, configure the access point to connect to
the wireless network that the Linksys "hosts", and then connect the Mac
to the access point with a CAT5 cable, and I'll be able to access the
Internet via the Linksys ADSL router?

in theory yes. In practice a lot of bridging / WDS functionality is
chipset specific so even kit from the same maker may not do what you
expect. Typically an acces spoint will only wirelessly repeat another
access point of the same type, for example.

So if the ME102 has a client mode that works with any 802.11b/g
network you'll be OK. If relying on WDS or the like read the specs
very carefully and try to find someone with the same combo working.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)