Help with Belkin modem router and internet connection

Old August 3rd 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

Default Help with Belkin modem router and internet connection

I have a Belkin ADSL modem and router model F5D/7632-4 and a Belkin laptop
network card model F5D7010 in my laptop.
Both work correctly by connecting to the internet wirelessly. My laptop
displays two icons in the taskbar demonstrating a wireless connection but,
my desktop PC has no icons or any other reference to the Belkin
modum/router or internet connection.

The desktop PC automatically connects to the internet when the PC is
started up and after some time (1 hour approx) disconnects itself from the
internet and the only way of reconnecting is by rebooting the computer.
There is nothing to show when the desktop computer is connected to the
internet and I'm wondering if there should be an icon or some other
indicater on my desktop PC to show when I have an internet connection?

AL
Old August 4th 05, 07:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:20:47 +0100, Alan
wrote:

I have a Belkin ADSL modem and router model F5D/7632-4 and a Belkin laptop
network card model F5D7010 in my laptop.
Both work correctly by connecting to the internet wirelessly. My laptop
displays two icons in the taskbar demonstrating a wireless connection but,
my desktop PC has no icons or any other reference to the Belkin
modum/router or internet connection.

how is the desktop connected to the 7632 ??

at http://10.0.0.2/lan_settings.htm you can set the DHCP lease time
to Forever, which may help. (10.0.0.2 is the IP address of my router,
yours is probably different).

also in http://10.0.0.2/wan_pppoa.htm you can set the idle time to
zero.

these are two time-related things that may be part of the problem.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 4th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

Phil

Thanks for your reply, I had already set things up as you suggested and
have the same problem. My desktop is connect to the 7632 via an ADSL line
with filter and a networking cable connected to ethernet port on the 7632
the other end of the cable is connected to a netgear network card in the
desktop. Everything works and I can automatically connect to the internet
on my desktop when I start-up but I have no indication that my desktop is
connected to the internet and I have no means of manually connecting or
reconnecting to the internet from it. The laptop has network strength and
connection icons and I was expecting the same or similar with my desktop,
perhaps I'm expecting more than I should, I just need to confirm this.

Does anyone else have this Belkin modem/router set-up and is willing to
talk me through how it appears and works?

AL

Old August 4th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Alan says...
I have a Belkin ADSL modem and router model F5D/7632-4 and a Belkin laptop
network card model F5D7010 in my laptop.
Both work correctly by connecting to the internet wirelessly. My laptop
displays two icons in the taskbar demonstrating a wireless connection but,
my desktop PC has no icons or any other reference to the Belkin
modum/router or internet connection.

THat's working OK.

The desktop PC automatically connects to the internet when the PC is
started up and after some time (1 hour approx) disconnects itself from the
internet and the only way of reconnecting is by rebooting the computer.
There is nothing to show when the desktop computer is connected to the
internet and I'm wondering if there should be an icon or some other
indicater on my desktop PC to show when I have an internet connection?

OK...

Problem 1.

Start, Control Panel, Network Connections. Right click on the LAN
connection and select properties. Check the "Show icon in notification
area when connected" HOWEVER be aware that this will just show a
connection to the router, not the internet.

Problem 2.

Log into router. Under Internet WAN, select Connection Type. Leave what
is selected and press next. You'll come to a screen with user name,
password and some other entries. You'll see "Dial on Demand". UNCHECK
THAT BOX. Below that is "Idle time in minutes". Enter 30000 in that.
Apply changes and the router will restart.

--
Conor

Old August 5th 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan

Conor

Many thanks, following your instructions has given me an icon in the
taskbar of my desktop PC which states "local area connection" Does this
icon do anything else besides showing a connection to the router?

Right clicking on this icon give me the following options.

1.Disable
2.Status
3.Repair
4.Change windows forwewall setting
5.Open network connections

Is there some means of showing when I have an internet connection on my
desktop PC?

Regards
AL

In article , Alan says...

Old August 5th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:17:47 +0100, Alan
wrote:

Is there some means of showing when I have an internet connection on my
desktop PC?

no, because you don't. You have a LAN connection on your PC and a
router on the LAN that connects to the internet.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 5th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Alan says...
[...]

I have the 7630, so maybe the settings are different, but in mine typing "0"
for Idle Time means "never disconnect"