Advice sought please

Old August 4th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nel

Default Advice sought please

[Apologies if this is shown twice]

After searching the internet minefield of DSL/ADSL/Cable, wired/wireless
routers I have hit on this combination from Amazon UK for my NTL cable
broadband:

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 43.30
Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 31.98
Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter 27.77

I have a "Mediacenter PC" (one of these where everything is built around the
17" TFT screen - more like a chunky laptop!) which will use the Notebook
adapter. This is located where the NTL modem is and the router will be, so
I'm presuming I can hardwire this for a better connection (with the option
to move around with the adapter)?

I have a standard PC upstairs, (located in a doored cupboard around 15 feet
as the crow flies and 1 internal bricked wall) for the PCI adapter. I'd
assume this would achieve a good signal?

I did fancy the NETGEAR WGT634U for it's 108Mbp/s capability but I'm sure
that one of the sites that I've trawled through stated it wasn't compatible
with NTL!!

Also the choice I make will have to be compatible with any laptop with
wireless networking that I might get in the near future (when I can persuade
our lass!!!)

All advice gratefully acknowledged! :-)

Old August 4th 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:00:59 +0100, "Nel" wrote:

All advice gratefully acknowledged! :-)

looks OK. You could consider a USB wireless thingy instead of the PCI
card - bit more flexibility about location, no need to take the lid
off etc.

Yes you could wire the media centre PC in, you often need a wired
connection for setup anyway.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)