Running wireless broadband on laptop and PC

Old August 5th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

Default Running wireless broadband on laptop and PC

I have a laptop which links to the Net via a Netgear router, on blueyonder.

Now my fiance want to run her PC in the upstairs bedroom from the same
router, with separate e-mail account etc (for a business) - is this
possible, and how would a PC virtual-illiterate like me go about it? We're
not too bothered about both having online access simultaneously, though it
might be good if we could. I run Windows XP Pro, suspect her PC is W98...

Many thanks

Alex

Old August 5th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:21:38 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:

Now my fiance want to run her PC in the upstairs bedroom from the same
router, with separate e-mail account etc (for a business) - is this
possible, and how would a PC virtual-illiterate like me go about it?

you would get a USB wireless adapter (or a PCI card if you want to
take her PC to bits) and install it on her PC, it would then share
your connection over the Netgear router.

Do Blueyonder support running a small network on their service ?

The separate email account would need to be separatel yhosted, as
you'll just have the one BY account.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 5th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

wrote:

Now my fiance want to run her PC in the upstairs bedroom from the same
router, with separate e-mail account etc (for a business) - is this
possible, and how would a PC virtual-illiterate like me go about it?

you would get a USB wireless adapter (or a PCI card if you want to
take her PC to bits) and install it on her PC, it would then share
your connection over the Netgear router.

Do Blueyonder support running a small network on their service ?

The separate email account would need to be separatel yhosted, as
you'll just have the one BY account.

Phil

Thanks - so I would install the USB wireless adapter, inputting the codes on
the bottom of the router and then it would pick it up? I can have 6 e-mail
addresses on my account I believe so presumably that would be OK in fact.
This is what blueyonder have to say about multiple connections:

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/inter.../multiconn.htm

Cheers

Old August 5th 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:44:40 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:

Thanks - so I would install the USB wireless adapter, inputting the codes on
the bottom of the router and then it would pick it up?

if its a wireless router in its "as supplied" configuration then the
USB adapter will find it in the same way that your laptop does now (I
assume the laptop is wireless) by searching.

you could re-set it to the right channel if you know which that is
from the router.

I can have 6 e-mail
addresses on my account I believe so presumably that would be OK in fact.
This is what blueyonder have to say about multiple connections:

should be OK.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 5th 05, 04:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

wrote:

Thanks - so I would install the USB wireless adapter, inputting the codes

on
the bottom of the router and then it would pick it up?

if its a wireless router in its "as supplied" configuration then the
USB adapter will find it in the same way that your laptop does now (I
assume the laptop is wireless) by searching.

you could re-set it to the right channel if you know which that is
from the router.

Well, I recall having to type 2 sets of passcodes printed on the bottom of
the router into the laptop? I'm hoping that gives me some sort of security!
Will it still find it by searching?

Old August 5th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:19:01 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:

Well, I recall having to type 2 sets of passcodes printed on the bottom of
the router into the laptop? I'm hoping that gives me some sort of security!
Will it still find it by searching?

it will, then it will ask you for the codes if you're using some type
of encryption. This might be MAC address authentication - only
allowing some cards onto your network, or WEP / WPA where you type in
a password type string. Look at the router interface to see what it
is.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)