2 routers question

Old August 5th 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob H

Default 2 routers question

Hi,
I just want to ask if using 2 routers if the 'Uplink' port on a router
is the same as a 'WAN' port, and I should connect the WAN/Uplink on 2nd
router to a LAN port on the 1st.
Thanks
--

Bob H
Leeds UK

Old August 5th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:24:52 +0100, Bob H
wrote:

I just want to ask if using 2 routers if the 'Uplink' port on a router
is the same as a 'WAN' port, and I should connect the WAN/Uplink on 2nd
router to a LAN port on the 1st.

sounds about right. "Uplink" is more common on switches or hubs, but
could be used on routers I guess.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 5th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Bob H" wrote in message
I just want to ask if using 2 routers if the 'Uplink' port on a router
is the same as a 'WAN' port, and I should connect the WAN/Uplink on 2nd
router to a LAN port on the 1st.

The uplink and WAN ports will be different. What are you trying to do?

Alex

Old August 5th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Alex Fraser
writes
The uplink and WAN ports will be different. What are you trying to do?

Not necessarily, depends on what the router was designed for.

Alex

--
Clint Sharp
Old August 6th 05, 08:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Alex Fraser
writes
The uplink and WAN ports will be different. What are you trying to do?

Not necessarily, depends on what the router was designed for.

Such as?

Alex

Old August 6th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:37:58 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

Such as?

a domestic "broadband router" is likely to be designed with the
intention of connecting to a WAN ie the internet and therefore may use
WAN to label that connection but could concievably call it "uplink"
(eg Linksys) or indeed "internet"

given the context of this group, what equipment has both a WAN port
and an uplink port ? I've seen stuff with one or the other but not
both, I can picture on a large LAN where you may want a WAN link into
a LAN segement and an uplink to another part of the LAN, but not met
one personally.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 6th 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

wrote:

Such as?

a domestic "broadband router" is likely to be designed with the
intention of connecting to a WAN ie the internet and therefore may use
WAN to label that connection but could concievably call it "uplink"
(eg Linksys) or indeed "internet"

Calling the WAN port "uplink" would be extremely stupid.

given the context of this group, what equipment has both a WAN port
and an uplink port ?

Hmm... maybe I misinterpreted the OP. I thought that was exactly what he was
suggesting he had.

I still don't have a clue what Clint Sharp was trying to say.

Alex

Old August 6th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:39:43 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

Calling the WAN port "uplink" would be extremely stupid.

agreed. But some people appear to do it.

I found one review that refers to 1 of 4 LAN ports being configurable
as an uplink port, in addition to an Internet / WAN port on the same
box.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Linksys_EtherFast_four_port_cable_DSL_router/4514-3319_7-1516994.html

in fact a few of the Linksys devices have this feature - you learn
sometihng every day.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 6th 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

wrote:

Calling the WAN port "uplink" would be extremely stupid.

agreed. But some people appear to do it.

Not that I have seen.

I found one review that refers to 1 of 4 LAN ports being configurable
as an uplink port, in addition to an Internet / WAN port on the same
box.

That is the sort of thing I thought the OP was talking about.

Alex

Old August 6th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:56:16 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

Not that I have seen.

" EtherFast 1-Port Cable/DSL Router, One 10BaseT 1 Uplink Port One
10/100 RJ-45 Port" in one case.

Should be 1 WAN port 1 10/100 LAN port, of course.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)