Setting up Wi-Fi router with ADSL modem

Old August 6th 05, 06:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BDA

Default Setting up Wi-Fi router with ADSL modem

I have an ethernet ADSL modem, that will be replacing the PCI modem that is
installed on one of the PCs on my network.
This PC acts as the default gateway, and I had to specify the DNS address
for my ISP.

All the other PCs on the network have their own IP address 192.168.123.xy,
and there is a box for the IP address of the default gateway, (which is the
PC with the PCI ADSL modem.)
The Subnet mask for all the PCs is 255.255.255.0

The WiFi/Wired router has the IP address of 192.168.123.abc , which is why
all the PCs have the first part of the IP address 192.168.123.**

I know that the ADSL ethernet modem will plug into the WAN port of the
WiFi/Wired router.

I know that there will be a screen where I have to input things like
username, password, and primary and secondary DNS servers.

What I want to know is how can I configure the Ethernet modem and router so
I can share the net without the PC with the ADSL modem being on all the
time.

I assume that I will have to change the default gateway IP address on all
the PCs so it points to either the WiFi/Wired router or the Ethernet modem,
but I'm not sure which.

Thanks for your help.

Old August 6th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 06/08/2005 BDA wrote:

Ok. There is an option on the Wifi/wired router that says DHCP on/off.

I did a search for it, and it was way too technical. it probably
explains why when I set it to "enable" it didn't work as I had
already asigned an IP address.

It's one of those things that looks worse than it is :-)

If you enable it then set each PC to obtain an IP address automatically
then you can forget it. Also means that you can just add additional
PC's in the future as you expand your network.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Old August 6th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:04:19 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

Ok. There is an option on the Wifi/wired router that says DHCP on/off.

there may/should be two - a router can be a DHCP server (for client
PCs) but can also have a DHCP client on its WAN port.

These ADSL ethernet modem / router combos are non-trivial and may be
specific to the devices concerned, so name the kit please (others may
have experience).

In general terms I would say that the router will initially get a
local IP address on its WAN interface allocated by the modem by DHCP.
This will be different to your LAN IP addresses in order for it to
route from LAN to WAN.

When you have setup the ethernet modem, which will initially also
present an internal IP address to the router, the external IP address
will be negotiated and passed to the router if the modem is to work in
a transparent fashion.

You'll have to sit and RTFM for the devices concerned, be aware that
not everything is compatible - there are combos of modems and routers
which simply don't work. Good Luck !

Which is why smart-arses like me usually say "buy a combined ADSL
modem/router" :-)

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 6th 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BDA

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

Wi-fi router is
http://www.safecom.cn/code/sub/categ...158&subcatid=2

Modem is BT Voyager 205 http://www.voyager.bt.com/205/prodinfo.htm

I already had bought the Wifi router in Dec for ~25. So just decided to buy
an Ethernet modem.
The master BT socket is in the cloakroom. I wanted to connect the Ethernet
modem to this socket.
The wire that brings ADSL into my room was a DIY job that I did back in
1996. I found the wire at my grans house. The wire is really thin, its not
really outdoor telecom wire. However when BT upgraded my exchange to 2Megs,
I did notice an improvement in speed.

I was going to go for the combo option, but WiFi access from the cloakroom
would be poor.

Old August 6th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:25:34 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

So just decided to buy
an Ethernet modem.

but you didn't, you bought a 2-port ADSL modem-router. Will think
about the consequences after looking at the other kit.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 6th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:25:34 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

I was going to go for the combo option, but WiFi access from the cloakroom
would be poor.

OK. The wireless thing says "Can work as a wireless Access Point" so
the best course of action is for you to find out how to do that, then
plug its WAN port into the ethernet port of the Voyager 205.

Set it to get an IP address on the WAN port by DHCP (which will come
from the Voyager)

Turn off the Wireless units DHCP server, the clients should get passed
through to the 205.

the manuals aren't on line so you'll have to work through them with
the above hints.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 6th 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BDA

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:25:34 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

So just decided to buy
an Ethernet modem.

but you didn't, you bought a 2-port ADSL modem-router. Will think
about the consequences after looking at the other kit.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)

Yes, I bought it becuase of the ADSL modem. Its very hard to find a true
ADSL ethernet modem.
What I want to do is turn the router off, and just use the ethernet port to
link to the WAN of the Wifi router.

Old August 6th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BDA

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:25:34 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

I was going to go for the combo option, but WiFi access from the cloakroom
would be poor.

OK. The wireless thing says "Can work as a wireless Access Point" so
the best course of action is for you to find out how to do that, then
plug its WAN port into the ethernet port of the Voyager 205.

Set it to get an IP address on the WAN port by DHCP (which will come
from the Voyager)

Turn off the Wireless units DHCP server, the clients should get passed
through to the 205.

the manuals aren't on line so you'll have to work through them with
the above hints.

Phil
--

Hi Phil,

I must have done something wrong because I cannot get it to work the
"correct way"

However I have now got net access on all the network PCs but have done it
via a hotch-potch way, which is a shame because I miss out on additional
features on the wifi router such as firewall, and thus have to rely on a
software one.

What I did was change the IP address of the ADSL router to 192.168.123.112,
(so it fits in with the rest of the PCs on the network) and left the subnet
mask as 255.255.255.0

I then connected the ethernet wire NOT to the WAN port of the wifi router,
but to 1 of the other 4 LAN ports.
I deleted the DUN feature for the PCI ADSL modem as that is redundant.

I went to the screen where you can change the IP address on each of the PCs,
and used the default gateway as 192.168.123.112
That still didn't work, then I remembered that I had to specify the DNS IP
address from Pipex.

Heypresto it worked.

I still want to connect it via the correct way.

Basically on the ADSL modem there is 2 main menus

1) IP addressing
2) IP routing

In the IP addressing menu there are 3 main features:

IP Address

DHCP Mode - allows DHCP to be on or off

DHCP Server - fancy stuff "Use this page if you are using the device as a
DHCP server. This page lists the IP address pools available to computers on
your LAN. The device distributes numbers in the pool to devices on your
network as they request Internet access."

The IP routing menu has:

NAT

DNS

Bridging

IP Route

IP Address Table

I think the last 3 dont need touching. NAT is set to enable. DNS, I can
manually specify my ISP's server or let it auto detect.