NAS storage

Old August 6th 05, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fixer

Default NAS storage

In theory is their anything to stop me using an ultra small form factor PC
ie something like a Dell SX270 as a NAS box on a home network?

I know about the fact the SX270 has a problem with dodgy capicitors blowing
but apart from that anything obvious I've missed?????

Old August 6th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Fixer" steve.h1
@ntlworld.com says...
In theory is their anything to stop me using an ultra small form factor PC
ie something like a Dell SX270 as a NAS box on a home network?

None at all - install a Linux distro with SAMBA. If you install
Webmin you can configure it remotely to do all sorts of additional
stuff like NFS, FTP, caching/filtering proxy ...

Old August 6th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Fixer wrote:
In theory is their anything to stop me using an ultra small form
factor PC ie something like a Dell SX270 as a NAS box on a home
network?

Nope.
There is a nice cut down version of server 2003 for just this sort of thing
if you can find a copy.
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old August 6th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Fixer
writes
In theory is their anything to stop me using an ultra small form factor PC
ie something like a Dell SX270 as a NAS box on a home network?

I know about the fact the SX270 has a problem with dodgy capicitors blowing
but apart from that anything obvious I've missed?????

You need to run it in a fridge to keep it cool enough to be reliable.
Seriously, you're going to pay a lot for a decent capacity drive because
of the 2.5" drive, drive speed is an issue as well and there's no way of
running any kind of RAID via any add in card. Might be better with a
small form factor PC like a GX series Dell so you can at least use PCI
cards and 3.5" drives.
--
Clint Sharp
Old August 6th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fixer

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Fixer
writes
In theory is their anything to stop me using an ultra small form factor PC
ie something like a Dell SX270 as a NAS box on a home network?

I know about the fact the SX270 has a problem with dodgy capicitors
blowing
but apart from that anything obvious I've missed?????

You need to run it in a fridge to keep it cool enough to be reliable.
Seriously, you're going to pay a lot for a decent capacity drive because
of the 2.5" drive, drive speed is an issue as well and there's no way of
running any kind of RAID via any add in card. Might be better with a small
form factor PC like a GX series Dell so you can at least use PCI cards and
3.5" drives.
--

mmmm I think that the the costv of the HDD might be prohibative, I'vee seen
some external HDD caddies that can be run as NAS storage but they are

Old August 6th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grant

"Fixer" wrote in message

| "Clint Sharp" wrote in message
| In message , Fixer
| writes
| In theory is their anything to stop me using an ultra small form factor
PC
| ie something like a Dell SX270 as a NAS box on a home network?
|
| I know about the fact the SX270 has a problem with dodgy capicitors
| blowing
| but apart from that anything obvious I've missed?????
| You need to run it in a fridge to keep it cool enough to be reliable.
| Seriously, you're going to pay a lot for a decent capacity drive because
| of the 2.5" drive, drive speed is an issue as well and there's no way of
| running any kind of RAID via any add in card. Might be better with a
small
| form factor PC like a GX series Dell so you can at least use PCI cards
and
| 3.5" drives.
| --
| mmmm I think that the the costv of the HDD might be prohibative, I'vee
seen
| some external HDD caddies that can be run as NAS storage but they are
| expensive for what they are 50 plus shipping from the states, or 90 over
| here inc a 80gig HDD but I dont need the HDD as i have a spare 300 gig IDE
| as it is . Basically what i want to do so as to use it as a file server
| share mp3s etc on the network and just to sit it next to the router and
just
| map to that drive on each PC rather than have the main PC on acting as a
| domain controller

Have you considered the Linksys NSLU2? This is a tiny little Linux based
appliance that you can plug a couple of USB hard drives into and share them
out onto the network. The only drawback is that it formats the hard drive in
a "proprietary" format (actually ext3) so you wouldn't be able to plug the
drives in to a PC and have them just work.

Last time I looked they were around 60 plus the cost of the hard drive -
say 75 for a nice big 300GB drive and twenty quid for a USB2 enclosure, or
for that matter a stylish LaCie 250 GB USB2 Drive can be had for under 100.

There is a really good series of articles on hacking these devices he
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...-article85.php

--
Grant

Old August 6th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fixer

cooool ta I'll have a look thanks