This must be so easy but it won't work!

Old August 6th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Flaherty

Default This must be so easy but it won't work!

Hi,

Can anyone offer some advice or point me in the direction of a website
that will give me some guidance (in plain newbie-English) on how to
connect two computers together to form a network and to enable both
computers to connect to the internet.

I've read so much conflicting "information" that my head is spinning!

My setup is as follows:

1 x desktop computer, has 2 network cards in and connects directly to
the internet via a cable modem (lets call this pc "lounge")

1 x laptop computer, has 1 network card in and I'd like to be able to
connect to the internet through the other pc whilst I'm upstairs (lets
call this pc "bedroom")

Both machines are running XP SP2 and the desktop machine is also
running with ZoneAlarm Pro. I've set both machines up with a workgroup
named "HOME".

Whatever I try, I can't seem to get the laptop pc to access the
internet. And, even though both pcs see each other, if I attempt to
copy files between them, I get a "access denied" error?

Thanks for any pointers.

Old August 6th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 06/08/2005 Alex Flaherty wrote:

[...]

Well if you want conflicting information you've come to the right place
:-)

I don't use a cable modem, does it just have 1 x RJ45 socket or is it a
switch as well, i.e. it has 2 or more RJ45 sockets? If it is a switch
you can plug each PC into its own RJ45 socket, but if that were
possible you would probably have done it.

I did something similar recently with a PC that had 2 network
connections where I wanted 1 for NAS storage and the other to connect
to the rest of my network. I was advised in this group by Alex Fraser
on 20 July how to 'bridge' the networks, message id is
if you can pick it up, it has
worked brilliantly.

A basic summary is on the desktop PC to go to Control Panel | Network
Connections, highlight both the network cards, right click and choose
'Bridge Connections', they effectively work together as one connection
then. It causes major problems (i.e. doesn't work) when two network
cards have addresses in the same range on the same PC. Instead of
setting up each network card separately you actually configure the
bridged connection. I suggest you give this connection a fixed IP
address of 192.168.0.1 since that is what Windows allocates for
Internet Connection Sharing.

Then set up the second, 'bedroom', PC with a fixed IP address of
192.168.0.2 and they should see each other. I don't use Zone Alarm but
you need to add as a trusted zone (I think it's called) the 'other' PC
in each case. At worst disconnect your cable connection, turn ZA off,
get the PC's talking then turn ZA back on one at a time and ensure the
PC's can still see each other. Once you have ZA back on then re-connect
your cable modem.

As far as file sharing is concerned life will be a lot easier if you
log on with the same user name and password on each PC. You must then
specifically share folders, right click the folder in Explorer, choose
'Sharing' and follow it through, it's slightly different between XP
Home and XP Pro but it's fairly self explanatory.

Not using a cable modem I'm not sure if I can help with ICS. Does it
show up in network connections? If so you can right click and choose
sharing there.

There are other ways to do it, i.e. buying a switch but for 2 PC's it
may not be worthwhile.

Shout if I've not been clear :-)

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Old August 6th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On a home network, "Access denied" is typically caused by a firewall,
an unshared folder or an unshared file. You need to configure ZoneAlarm
to allow your computers to access each other's resources.

Since both computers can see each other, your network hardware is
already setup correctly and your workgroup setup is also correct. Now,
you just have to deal with your firewall(s) on the computer(s). Each
firewall must be configured to allow access to and from the other
computer.

Old August 7th 05, 06:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Flaherty

hmmm, I guessed the firewalls were the problem..............I'm pretty
sure ZA Pro's configured correctly, I believe it's Windows Firewall
that's muddying the waters.

It doesn't matter what I do to disable Windows Firewall, it seems to
keep reviving itself. Even run:-services.msc and killing it from
there doesn't seem to do the trick?

I'm seriously thinking of going back to XP Pro SP1 or even W2K.