3 com router How?

Old August 6th 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brownie

Default 3 com router How?

hello,

Just picked up a 3com ADSL/router OfficeConnect Remote 812. I was hoping to
use it as a standby. I'm assured it functions perfectly and it looks like
it does except I can't navigate to the setup screen etc.

I'm using Win XP home and thought it would be simply typing in the 19.2xxx
address?

Thanks

Old August 6th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 06/08/2005 Brownie wrote:

hello,

Just picked up a 3com ADSL/router OfficeConnect Remote 812. I was
hoping to use it as a standby. I'm assured it functions perfectly
and it looks like it does except I can't navigate to the setup screen
etc.

I'm using Win XP home and thought it would be simply typing in the
19.2xxx address?

Thanks

You need to know what xxx is :-)

It may have been changed, can you do a factory reset to put it back to
what it should be?

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Old August 6th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bstarzerozero

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 06/08/2005 Brownie wrote:

hello,

Just picked up a 3com ADSL/router OfficeConnect Remote 812. I was
hoping to use it as a standby. I'm assured it functions perfectly
and it looks like it does except I can't navigate to the setup screen
etc.

I'm using Win XP home and thought it would be simply typing in the
19.2xxx address?

Thanks

You need to know what xxx is :-)

It may have been changed, can you do a factory reset to put it back to
what it should be?

Is it 192.168.200.254?

Would you have to be on the right subnet etc?

Old August 6th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Brownie" mailbox100
@btinternet.com says...
hello,

Just picked up a 3com ADSL/router OfficeConnect Remote 812. I was hoping to
use it as a standby. I'm assured it functions perfectly and it looks like
it does except I can't navigate to the setup screen etc.

I'm using Win XP home and thought it would be simply typing in the 19.2xxx
address?

Presumably you mean 192.168.xxx.xxx - do a hard reset {probably a
little button on the back somewhere) to reinstate the factory default
settings.

Old August 6th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 06/08/2005 Bstarzerozero wrote:

Is it 192.168.200.254?

Would you have to be on the right subnet etc?

I don't know what the default is, RDS suggested 192.168.1.1 which is
what both my Draytek and Linksys use.

The PC you address it from must be in the same range, i.e 192.168.1.x,
have you tried the 3COM site for the default, or perhaps even the
manual?

Old August 6th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

"Brownie" wrote in message
hello,

Just picked up a 3com ADSL/router OfficeConnect Remote 812. I was hoping
to use it as a standby. I'm assured it functions perfectly and it looks
like it does except I can't navigate to the setup screen etc.

I'm using Win XP home and thought it would be simply typing in the 19.2xxx
address?

Thanks

192.168.1.1 should get you there, but make sure that your pc is getting its
ip addresses from the router.
go to start run, type cmd type ipconfig /all
Make sure you dont have an ip address starting with 169.xxx.

Gaz

Old August 7th 05, 08:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brownie

"Gaz" wrote in message

192.168.1.1 should get you there, but make sure that your pc is getting
its ip addresses from the router.
go to start run, type cmd type ipconfig /all
Make sure you dont have an ip address starting with 169.xxx.

Ok, here's what's happening if anyone can help any more please? 3Com Remote
OfficeConnect 812 ADSL Router

The unit powers on, it gives me a green to show a lan cable is connected and
can also detect an ADSL line. I'm assured it works 100% by the person who
gave it to me. I've downloaded the command program from 3Com, although it
doesn't like running on XP/SP2. I've downloaded the instructions.
Presently, without being able to run the dedicated program I'm just trying
to navigate to the web browser interface if that is possible. I've tried
booting it up holding the reset button and have the dip switches set with
No2 in the on position, 'up'.

My IP adress is in the same range 192.168.x.x Now I've tried the
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.200.254 per the manual.

The router detects a lan connection, and my computer detects a 10Mbs
connection, but I just can't get to a browser interface? I'm not a whizzo
at networks as you probably guessed!

Old August 7th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

"Brownie" wrote in message

"Gaz" wrote in message

[...]

is your address 192.168.1.x? are you sure all your lan tcp/ip settings set
to automatic (right click your lan, properties, internet protocol,
properties, obtain ip and dns automatically, should be set) ?
Are you sure your browser is not working off line?

When you do ipconfig /all, you should get quite a bit of detail, like the
one below, right click the cmd screen, chose select all, then hold ctrl and
press C, paste it into your response, it might help to see if anything is
wrong...............

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dellnote
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : Dhcp Enabled. . . . . .
.. . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 August 2005 09:10:04
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 07 August 2005 10:10:04

Old August 7th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brownie

Should just say also that I have tried Console mode on the router and I can
telnet to a login screen. I've done what appears to be a factory reset, but
the default passwords as I understand them aren't working.

If I use the 3com software, it doesn't seem to be able to talk to the router
(though the lan cable) although I can get my computer to see it is connected
to a 10Mbs device.

I'll have to try again later on.