Router with built in Firewall.

Old August 8th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BDA

Default Router with built in Firewall.

I managed to connect my ADSl Voyager 205 modem to my Safecom WiFi router.

Both have a firewall with fancy stuff like IP routing and port forwarding
etc.

Which one should I enable.

From what I can make out, the Safecom router will firewall at Intranet
level, while the Voyager would be able to protect at WAN level.
I would also want to use some programs like bittorent, which may not work if
the firewall is in place.

Any tips or suggestions.

I am also thinking about setting up a small page so that other with the
voyager 205 modem, who wish to do what I just did can do so. This will have
screen shots and photos. Googling shows that there are a lot of people who
get stuck with this ADSL router. I could manage the basics, but I would need
some help with the more advanced stuff.

Cheers

Old August 8th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:18:36 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

Which one should I enable.

its not just a firewall there is also the NAT issue. The Voyager can't
see the IP addresses of the PCs in your setup, so you need to put the
router in the DMZ and use forwarding / firewalling on the WiFi router.

This is why its better to use an Access Point and not two routers.

http://www.portforward.com/btvoyager/205adsl.htm
http://firewalling.com/btvoyager/205adsl.htm

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 8th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BDA

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:18:36 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

Which one should I enable.

its not just a firewall there is also the NAT issue. The Voyager can't
see the IP addresses of the PCs in your setup, so you need to put the
router in the DMZ and use forwarding / firewalling on the WiFi router.

This is why its better to use an Access Point and not two routers.

http://www.portforward.com/btvoyager/205adsl.htm
http://firewalling.com/btvoyager/205adsl.htm

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)

How do I set it up as an access point, bearing in mind that the WiFi router
has 4 wired Lan ports, which feeds 2 PCs.

Cheers

Old August 8th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:33:54 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

How do I set it up as an access point, bearing in mind that the WiFi router
has 4 wired Lan ports, which feeds 2 PCs.

I don't know, its manual is not on the net. Acces point is listed as
one of its functions, so time to RTM I'm afraid (or hunt around the
GUI).

The wired ports are neither here not there, an AP will just bridge all
the wired ports to the wireless. I did this to a Belkin router, so
that it would work with an ADSL router - it had an AP mode and its
wired ports were used too.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 9th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:33:54 +0100, "BDA" wrote:

How do I set it up as an access point, bearing in mind that the WiFi
router has 4 wired Lan ports, which feeds 2 PCs.

I don't know, its manual is not on the net. Acces point is listed as
one of its functions, so time to RTM I'm afraid (or hunt around the
GUI).

The wired ports are neither here not there, an AP will just bridge all
the wired ports to the wireless. I did this to a Belkin router, so
that it would work with an ADSL router - it had an AP mode and its
wired ports were used too.

*All* wired ports were bridged? Even the WAN port?

There's no technical problem with doing that but I've never seen it before.
However, all wireless routers bridge between the LAN Ethernet ports and
wireless. If you turn off the DHCP server and pretend the WAN port doesn't
exist (leaving it unconnected), you have the equivalent of an AP connected
to a switch.

Alex