Configuring multiple wireless access points

Old August 10th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Default Configuring multiple wireless access points

A customer of mine has had Cat 5 cable installed in his house and intendes
to connect one AP to the cable upstairs and another AP to the cable
downstairs: presumably he has chosen more that one AP to guarantee coverage
in a large house. I don't know what make/model of AP he has chosen. He did
all this before he called me in.

My main remit is to advise on broadband ISP and router, but he may want me
to set up the APs as well.

Can I check that the common advice that I've read is the best way of doing
it: to give both APs the same SSID and WPA key but to give them different
wireless channels? Assuming it's Wireless G, what's the minimum channel
spacing that I need to observe? How does a laptop's wireless adaptor react
if it sees two signals of roughly equal strength: is there ever a cae where
it starts hopping back and forth between the two APs' signals with some
incoming packets being requested via one AP and some via the other. Or does
all this happen invisibly within the user needing to worry abut it?

Old August 11th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
Martin Underwood says...

Can I check that the common advice that I've read is the best way of doing
it: to give both APs the same SSID and WPA key but to give them different
wireless channels?

Good luck.

--
Conor

Old August 13th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcin Gaszewski

cuted
Can I check that the common advice that I've read is the best way of doing
it: to give both APs the same SSID and WPA key but to give them different
wireless channels? Assuming it's Wireless G, what's the minimum channel
spacing that I need to observe? How does a laptop's wireless adaptor react
if it sees two signals of roughly equal strength: is there ever a cae where
it starts hopping back and forth between the two APs' signals with some
incoming packets being requested via one AP and some via the other. Or does
all this happen invisibly within the user needing to worry abut it?

It isn't good idea, you need keep channel separation. Of course it could
work but with very bad SNR and quality will be very bad.
The best thing is to do roaming with two CISCO AP, it happens at 3rd
Layer even computer will be moving frome AP1 area to AP2 area sesion
will be keep.

Best Regards
Marcin Gaszewski