Using Several PC's With Telewest Cable Modem

Old August 10th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

Default Using Several PC's With Telewest Cable Modem

A colleague has asked if it is possible to connect a router to his
Telewest cable modem via the Ethernet port and share the connection
amongst several PC's.

I have no experience of cable but I am sure I have read in this group
that people are doing this. Can anybody confirm this is possible please?

Assuming it is possible I imagine the router should be set up to obtain
an IP address automatically which the cable modem would supply to it?

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the option
to switch his BB to ADSL at some time. If he does this and connects the
Telewest Modem to one of the network ports and turns off/doesn't
connect the 'phone line cable will it effectively work just as a
router/modem or do the routing functions only work on the 'phone line
connection? I am a bit wary about this last suggestion.

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Old August 10th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
A colleague has asked if it is possible to connect a router to his
Telewest cable modem via the Ethernet port and share the connection
amongst several PC's.

I have no experience of cable but I am sure I have read in this group
that people are doing this. Can anybody confirm this is possible please?

Yep, no problem.

Assuming it is possible I imagine the router should be set up to obtain
an IP address automatically which the cable modem would supply to it?

Actually, no, but it doesn't make a difference. (A cable modem is a bridge
so a DHCP request goes onto the cable network.)

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the option
to switch his BB to ADSL at some time.

[snip]
do the routing functions only work on the 'phone line
connection?

Yes, so your colleague should purchase a router which has an Ethernet WAN
port (that you connect to the modem). These are usually described as
"Cable/DSL routers".

If he decides to switch to ADSL, then the simplest option is to replace the
router with an ADSL modem/router/AP box. Another is to get an ADSL
modem/router and connect it to a LAN port of the old router, and disable the
old router's DHCP server (the routing capabilities of the old router are not
used - it's effectively an AP plus a switch).

Alex

Old August 10th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lister

On 10 Aug 2005 10:53:38 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

A colleague has asked if it is possible to connect a router to his
Telewest cable modem via the Ethernet port and share the connection
amongst several PC's.

I have no experience of cable but I am sure I have read in this group
that people are doing this. Can anybody confirm this is possible please?

Yes, perfectly possible, and it's exactly what I do.

Assuming it is possible I imagine the router should be set up to obtain
an IP address automatically which the cable modem would supply to it?

Yes, if you have DHCP enabled on your router (should be on by default)

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the option
to switch his BB to ADSL at some time. If he does this and connects the
Telewest Modem to one of the network ports and turns off/doesn't
connect the 'phone line cable will it effectively work just as a
router/modem or do the routing functions only work on the 'phone line
connection? I am a bit wary about this last suggestion.

Not sure what you're asking. The routing should work whatever you do.

--
How can I meet Kylie Minogue?
Old August 10th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
A colleague has asked if it is possible to connect a router to his
Telewest cable modem via the Ethernet port and share the connection
amongst several PC's.

[snip]
Assuming it is possible I imagine the router should be set up to obtain
an IP address automatically which the cable modem would supply to it?

Actually, no, but it doesn't make a difference. (A cable modem is a
bridge so a DHCP request goes onto the cable network.)

Sorry, that wasn't very clear: yes, the router should be configured to use
DHCP for the WAN port (generally the default), but no, the cable modem isn't
the DHCP server.

Alex

Old August 10th 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 10/08/2005 Alex Fraser wrote:

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message

[snipped]

Many thanks for your replies Alex :-)

Old August 10th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 10/08/2005 Lister wrote:

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the
option to switch his BB to ADSL at some time. If he does this and
connects the Telewest Modem to one of the network ports and turns
off/doesn't connect the 'phone line cable will it effectively work
just as a router/modem or do the routing functions only work on the
'phone line connection? I am a bit wary about this last suggestion.

Not sure what you're asking. The routing should work whatever you do.

I think since my brain has woken up a bit, and in view of the reply
from Alex, that the cable modem needs to be connected to a specific
modem port and not just plugged into 'any' port on the router?

Old August 10th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lister

On 10 Aug 2005 12:50:26 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

On 10/08/2005 Lister wrote:

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the
option to switch his BB to ADSL at some time. If he does this and
connects the Telewest Modem to one of the network ports and turns
off/doesn't connect the 'phone line cable will it effectively work
just as a router/modem or do the routing functions only work on the
'phone line connection? I am a bit wary about this last suggestion.

Not sure what you're asking. The routing should work whatever you do.

I think since my brain has woken up a bit, and in view of the reply
from Alex, that the cable modem needs to be connected to a specific
modem port and not just plugged into 'any' port on the router?

Yes, that's right

There should be one port for the modem and several ports for the
computers

--
How can I meet Kylie Minogue?
Old August 10th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 10 Aug
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Lister
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the option
to switch his BB to ADSL at some time. If he does this and connects the
Telewest Modem to one of the network ports and turns off/doesn't
connect the 'phone line cable will it effectively work just as a
router/modem or do the routing functions only work on the 'phone line
connection? I am a bit wary about this last suggestion.

Not sure what you're asking. The routing should work whatever you do.

But for cable, you can't use an ADSL combined modem/router/WAP.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old August 10th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lister

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:17:06 +0100, deKay
wrote:

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 10 Aug
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Lister
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

He is considering a combined ADSL Modem/Router/WAP so he has the option
to switch his BB to ADSL at some time. If he does this and connects the
Telewest Modem to one of the network ports and turns off/doesn't
connect the 'phone line cable will it effectively work just as a
router/modem or do the routing functions only work on the 'phone line
connection? I am a bit wary about this last suggestion.

Not sure what you're asking. The routing should work whatever you do.

But for cable, you can't use an ADSL combined modem/router/WAP.

That's true

--
How can I meet Kylie Minogue?