Powerline networking

Old September 9th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
T.

Default Powerline networking

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building. WiFi, for some reason, is
really unstable, even though the laptops have been perfect with it for
the last 2 years.

Anyway, what kit do I need to look for in particular, and what
limitations have people found with it?

I'm only after a pair of adapters for the moment, with ethernet straight
into FreeBSD boxes at either end. Does it work fine with 4/6-way
extension sockets plugged into the main wall socket?

TIA
Old September 9th 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

T. wrote:

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building. WiFi, for some reason, is
really unstable, even though the laptops have been perfect with it for
the last 2 years.

Anyway, what kit do I need to look for in particular, and what
limitations have people found with it?

I'm only after a pair of adapters for the moment, with ethernet straight
into FreeBSD boxes at either end. Does it work fine with 4/6-way
extension sockets plugged into the main wall socket?

TIA

I bought two Solwise Homeplug adapters from eBay for about 46UKP/pair. They
seem to work reliably for me. The (scant) information supplied indicated
that they should not be plugged in to extensions but I have done that with
no apparent signal degradation. They run very hot so I mounted the
extension sockets on the wall in order to maintain proper orientation. They
will not work properly when plugged in to surge protected sockets however.
They will also not work through electricity meters, so house to house
networking is not possible.

The ones I have come with some Windows software to enable encryption and to
show signal strength but the use of this is not necessary. I have been able
to get the full 14Mbps that is the maximum supported speed within an
average size house. There are also 85Mbps versions available at higher
cost.

Try here

http://www.solwise.co.uk/

for further info.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply
Old September 9th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:53:22 +0100, "T."
wrote:

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building. WiFi, for some reason, is
really unstable,

I find WiFi flakey too.

Many I've seen are quite highly priced but try www.rlsupplies.co.uk
who are selling ACER plugs at around 21.

They do ethernet devices but for some reason the web page is only
showing a USB vsersion at the moment.

Give them a ring.

Geoff Lane

Old September 9th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:20:55 GMT, Chris Whelan
wrote:

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building.

I bought two Solwise Homeplug adapters from eBay for about 46UKP/pair.

They run very hot

Why should they run hot I wonder.

Geoff Lane

Old September 9th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
T.

wrote:

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building. WiFi, for some reason, is
really unstable,

I find WiFi flakey too.

Many I've seen are quite highly priced but try www.rlsupplies.co.uk
who are selling ACER plugs at around 21.

They do ethernet devices but for some reason the web page is only
showing a USB vsersion at the moment.

Give them a ring.

Thanks very much Geoff. I'll try them on Monday.

So far the ones from here are the ones I might go for.
http://www.shopmagenta.com/product/HP85.aspx
It looks like they're the same as the ones from Solwise.
Old September 9th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
T.

Chris Whelan wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chris. That's a useful site. The Scenario 2 gave me an idea I
hadn't thought of before
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-specs.htm#2
Old September 9th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:38:19 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Why should they run hot I wonder.

its a feature of modern electronics and not a problem. If the kit
works at 60 C why mess with cooling etc.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old September 9th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

wrote:

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building.

I bought two Solwise Homeplug adapters from eBay for about 46UKP/pair.

They run very hot

Why should they run hot I wonder.

My comment was more about the reason why it might be inadvisable to plug
them in to an extension socket laid on the floor. The units have cooling
slots in them, so presumably have been designed to work in a certain
orientation.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply
Old September 12th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Chapman

T. wrote:

I'm staring to consider powerline networking as a transit to connect
main wired network in home to an out-building. WiFi, for some reason,
is really unstable, even though the laptops have been perfect with it
for the last 2 years.

Anyway, what kit do I need to look for in particular, and what
limitations have people found with it?

I'm only after a pair of adapters for the moment, with ethernet
straight into FreeBSD boxes at either end. Does it work fine with
4/6-way extension sockets plugged into the main wall socket?

TIA

Devolo is another manufacturer:

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLAN/index.html
Old September 12th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ts86

Andrew Chapman wrote:

I'm only after a pair of adapters for the moment, with ethernet
straight into FreeBSD boxes at either end. Does it work fine with
4/6-way extension sockets plugged into the main wall socket?

TIA

Devolo is another manufacturer:

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLAN/index.html

Thanks for your reply.
I've ordered from Shop Magenta. They were cheaper than the branded
Microlink stuff, but still the same thing (same chipset).

Should be here tomorrow. Great customer service there too.