Variable I/P address

Old December 1st 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Aitman

Default Variable I/P address

Hi All,

Most people seem to want and crave a static I/P address, however, for
various reasons (none of them iffy honest) I need a variable one which
will change with some degree of frequency.

I am not sure whether this can be achieved either by say rebooting an
ADSL modem daily, or maybe there are still some ISPs out there who do
dynamic I/P allocation. I know AOL used to be the ubiquitous example of
an ISP that used dynamic I/P allocation but I really don't want to use
them.

Anyone know much about this topic as I have asked several professionals
and none of them seem to know how I can achieve the desired effect. My
Internet connection will most likely be through ADSL broadband, the ISP
yet to be decided.

TIA,

--
Paul...
Old December 1st 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Watts

Many (most?) ISPs provide dynamic IP addresses unless you pay more. But
dynamic does not mean that it will cahnge regularly. Few, if any,
disconnect and reconnect you just to change the IP address. Disconnecting,
and reconnecting, from your end will mean that you are requesting an IP
address from your ISP. Some while ago when I did this frequenlty (during a
testing phase) I seemed to get the same one reallocated; currently doing
that seems to mean that I get a new address. So disconnect/reconnect does
not guarantee a new different IP address.

HTH
Chris

Old December 1st 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 01/12/2005 Paul Aitman wrote:

Hi All,

Most people seem to want and crave a static I/P address, however, for
various reasons (none of them iffy honest) I need a variable one
which will change with some degree of frequency.

Have a look at Demon (www.demon.net) - they offer a dynamic IP address
on one of their home services.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.6.5
Old December 1st 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Chris Watts' wrote:

Many (most?) ISPs provide dynamic IP addresses unless you pay more. But
dynamic does not mean that it will cahnge regularly. Few, if any,
disconnect and reconnect you just to change the IP address. Disconnecting,
and reconnecting, from your end will mean that you are requesting an IP
address from your ISP.

Some while ago when I did this frequenlty (during a
testing phase) I seemed to get the same one reallocated; currently doing
that seems to mean that I get a new address. So disconnect/reconnect does
not guarantee a new different IP address.

The way it seems to work (with dynamic allocation) is that if you
reconnect before your old IP has been given out to someone else you
reacquire it. If you wait a minute or five then it is usually a different
one. Sometimes even seems to work that way on pstn dialup connections
though it could be my imagination as I'd have thought it would require
extra hardware to associate a CLID with an IP.

Dave J

Old December 1st 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Aitman

In message ,
Linker3000 writes
Paul Aitman wrote:
Hi All,
Most people seem to want and crave a static I/P address, however,
for various reasons (none of them iffy honest) I need a variable one
which will change with some degree of frequency.

Oh, go on - why!?

No really, it is just for a little extra privacy. I know more sites
would probably track users with cookies than I/P addresses, but I would
prefer that sites could not deduce it was me just because I was stuck
with the same I/P address ad inifinitum.

I am also not really interested in using any of those anonymiser
packages like secure-tunnel etc etc...

Thanks for all the feedback so far though!

--
Paul...
Old December 1st 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert Bass

"Paul Aitman" wrote in message
news
In message ,
Linker3000 writes
Paul Aitman wrote:
Hi All,
Most people seem to want and crave a static I/P address, however,
for various reasons (none of them iffy honest) I need a variable one
which will change with some degree of frequency.

Oh, go on - why!?

No really, it is just for a little extra privacy. I know more sites
would probably track users with cookies than I/P addresses, but I would
prefer that sites could not deduce it was me just because I was stuck
with the same I/P address ad inifinitum.

I am also not really interested in using any of those anonymiser
packages like secure-tunnel etc etc...

Thanks for all the feedback so far though!

Pretty much all ADSL services are dynamic, and a static IP address is
usually considered an extra and something only some more expensive ISPs
offer. So you have quite a few ISPs to choose from. Just a quick thought,
if you use a router, set the time out to a reasonable level, 30 minutes or
whatever and I assume when it goes back in each time you are likely to have
a new IP address. By the way, I agree with you entirely about your reason,
as a friend of mine has a fixed IP address and is being targetted regularly
by the same hackers, so I prefer (an have) a dynamic IP too, for the very
same reason you want one.

Old December 1st 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:57:30 -0000, "Robert Bass"
wrote:

By the way, I agree with you entirely about your reason,
as a friend of mine has a fixed IP address and is being targetted regularly
by the same hackers, so I prefer (an have) a dynamic IP too, for the very
same reason you want one.

that way you get the hackers that were targetting the previous user.
Wow, great advance that is.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old December 2nd 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

wrote:

By the way, I agree with you entirely about your reason,
as a friend of mine has a fixed IP address and is being targetted regularly
by the same hackers, so I prefer (an have) a dynamic IP too, for the very
same reason you want one.

that way you get the hackers that were targetting the previous user.
Wow, great advance that is.

Don't you think there's a slightly greater (just above zero) chance of
someone specifically targetting an IP on a static range on the grounds
that it is always the same machine?

Most of the script kiddie stuff revolves around scanning wide ranges of
IPs looking for specific vulnerabilities and that, when combined with
worms, makes up the vast majority of the attempts I've looked at.

I've always thought that the only way you'd get a 'real' hacker poking at
your system is if you give them a reason, and if you get one of those then
a dynamic IP won't make a lot of difference as if there's *anything* you
do that's distinctive they'll have a way to latch onto your current IP,
and by the time you've logged off their software is installed.

Dave J
Old December 5th 05, 03:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Linker3000

Paul Aitman wrote:
In message ,
Linker3000 writes

Paul Aitman wrote:

Hi All,
Most people seem to want and crave a static I/P address, however,
for various reasons (none of them iffy honest) I need a variable one
which will change with some degree of frequency.

Oh, go on - why!?

No really, it is just for a little extra privacy. I know more sites
would probably track users with cookies than I/P addresses, but I would
prefer that sites could not deduce it was me just because I was stuck
with the same I/P address ad inifinitum.

I am also not really interested in using any of those anonymiser
packages like secure-tunnel etc etc...

Thanks for all the feedback so far though!

Having a variable IP address does not guarantee anonymity - your PC and
router have a fixed MAC (Media Access Control) address that never
changes and with the right software it's possible to identify the origin
of any data packet through MAC addresses.