Belkin Pre-N and Packet Loss

Old December 10th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pyyrus

Default Belkin Pre-N and Packet Loss

I have recently set up a wireless network via a Belkin Pre-N wireless
Router and an isp provided cable modem. The internet connection works
fairly well through the router and the coverage of the wireless network
is excellent. My problem is that I am an avid gamer and when I try to
play games over the internet (particularly Quake 4 and Battlefront II
for pc) I get brutal packet loss. For example, in Quake 4 every 2
seconds or so I get a huge yellow lag spike and the movement in-game
skips backward(packet loss?). I tried using both the wireless
connection and the ethernet connection on the router wiith firewall
disabled, ports opened, even with DMZ enabled on the ip address of my
computer, but none of them gets rid of the lag. The only way I've
found to get rid of it is to connect directly to the modem (which,
needless to say, is a huge pain in the butt, particularly because of
where the modem is located). I have the very latest firmware update
for the router (the router is no more than 2 weeks old) and when I
checked the connection directly from the modem I got absolutely no
packet loss with very low pings. I have tried both online chat and
phone support both from the software developer and Belkin, but the
software company said that they don't support routers and Belkin said
that DMZ should fix my problem (even though it doesn't). I have tried
resetting to factory defaults several times, but even if I use the
defaults and plug directly into the router via ethernet (with only the
MAC address changed so that the internet connection works) I still get
the packet loss/lag problem. I believe that there is either a conflict
between the router and the way these games send packets (maybe some
kind of internal packet/ping blocker, other than ICMP ping block which
I have disabled), or something between the modem and the router. Any
help is greatly appreciated (also, anyone who has this router working
on these games, I would also like to hear from you).

Old December 17th 05, 06:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pyyrus

I still haven't been able to resolve the problem. Please help.