Extending a Netgear DG834gt wireless network with a repeater

Old January 8th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Extending a Netgear DG834gt wireless network with a repeater

Anybody doing this successfully? If so what equip (as well as the
router) are you using? I can't see a Netgear repeater product by
Googling although I have seen a bridge/access point for gaming. I
thought a bridge was to join two different networks or at least make
one network work across two channels?

Cheers

Old January 9th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

wrote in
:

Anybody doing this successfully? If so what equip (as well as the
router) are you using? I can't see a Netgear repeater product by
Googling although I have seen a bridge/access point for gaming. I
thought a bridge was to join two different networks or at least make
one network work across two channels?

It's a year or so since I investigated this, so my information may be out of
date, but I think that the wireless adaptors built into routers tend not to
be capable of being extended by adding an access point acting in repeater
mode, though I'm not sure why this should be the case.

When I was investigating the situation, the company that I was working for
used Dlink 604 wireless routers which couldn't be extended. Instead you
needed to attach a Dlink 2100 AP acting in normal infrastructure mode (for
coverage close to that AP) and then have another free-standing 2100 in
repeater mode placed just within range of the first one to rebroadcast the
signal. The amount of configuration information that Dlink provided on how
to achieve this was laughably small. They seemed to imply that all you had
to do was to configure the repeater AP with the MAC address of the base AP,
put the repeater AP in repeater mode and it would work. There was no
information on how to set the SSID and channel on the repeater AP, though
from other sources I found that the general advice is "same SSID as base;
different channel to base"; nor was there any information about whether the
repeater AP needed to be allocated an IP address in the same range as the
base AP's, thought it seems eminently sensible to do so! I did eventually
get it working in the office, walking round with a laptop in the car park to
find a point at which the base AP was just out of range and then showing
that when the repeater AP was turned on, the laptop detected a signal.
However I understand that the engineer who installed the equipment on the
customer site couldn't get it to work; sadly I was made redundant at about
that time so I never did hear the end of the story.

At that time, my knowledge of wireless networking was less than it is now:
nowadays I'd use NetStumbler to look for transmissions on the two different
channels, to distinguish base signal from repeater signal. I'd also try to
get everything working with encryption turned off throughout to begin with.

Old July 9th 06, 07:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip K

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:21:37 GMT, Wira One
wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:08:11 +0100, Philip K wrote:
I'm also using a Netgear DG834G and it doesn't quite cover the whole
house, so I'd like to use a Repeater with it to extend the range. Does
anybody have any experience with a Repeater which will work with my
router?

I don't think it is possible to use Netgear DG834G/T as a repeater since
it doesn't support WDS (Wireless Distribution System) and I don't think
Netgear will ever add WDS into the firmware too.

Thanks. I was actually hoping to be able to buy an Repeater/Extender
which would work to increase the range of my existing DG834G (rather
than using the DG834G as the repeater).

There is a suggestion that the D-Link DWL-G710 will work with the DG834G
at http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4923&PN=1 -
I am curious to know if anybody has any experience (good or bad) getting
these 2 boxes to work together?

Failing that, I could replace the DG834G.

Does any manufacturer make an ADSL router (which supports PPPoA) and
also a compatible Repeater/Extender? I haven't managed to find any yet
(either they only do a cable/DSL router, or they only support PPPoE).

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old July 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Wright

In message , Philip K
writes

Thanks. I was actually hoping to be able to buy an Repeater/Extender
which would work to increase the range of my existing DG834G (rather
than using the DG834G as the repeater).

The Hawking HWREG1 says it will work with any 802.11 B/G wifi though
I've not tried one yet. Blurb is he

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...=19&FamID=84&P
rodID=293

The other way to do this is to use something like a couple of Homeplug
ethernet over mains using one of the RJ45 ports on the DG384G with a
wireless access point at the other end. As below:

DG384G ---nic---Homeplug---/distance over mains/---Homeplug---nic---WAP

Where nic is network cable and WAP is a Wireless Access Point.

Note in the above that Hawking started life making (IMO) very good Wifi
aerials -- I've used some point-to-point between buildings and they work
well.
--
Tony
Old July 12th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:08:11 +0100, Philip K wrote:
I'm also using a Netgear DG834G and it doesn't quite cover the whole
house, so I'd like to use a Repeater with it to extend the range. Does
anybody have any experience with a Repeater which will work with my
router?

I don't think it is possible to use Netgear DG834G/T as a repeater since
it doesn't support WDS (Wireless Distribution System) and I don't think
Netgear will ever add WDS into the firmware too.

Thanks. I was actually hoping to be able to buy an Repeater/Extender
which would work to increase the range of my existing DG834G (rather
than using the DG834G as the repeater).

1 alternative is to use power line networking (or just Cat5) to a 2nd box.

That way you have 2 wireless points on 1 LAN.

An WLAN adaptor or another router or access point might work, but they tend
to limit you 1 attached device.

i have an old Netgear router in use as an AP to cover a "gap" from my
WGR614, with Cat5 back to the WGR - works pretty well with the 2 devices on
the same SSID but different channels.

There is a suggestion that the D-Link DWL-G710 will work with the DG834G
at http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4923&PN=1 -
I am curious to know if anybody has any experience (good or bad) getting
these 2 boxes to work together?

not tried this, but repeaters are on the blurred edge of the "official" wlan
spec, so incompatibility is even more likely than with conventional clients
and APs.

Also using a repeater the original device and the repeater have to use the
same wireless channel, and there is lots of scope for mutual interference
causing problems, and every packet ends up being sent across the wireless
link twice

personally i would have 2 more conventional wireless points on different
channels, and link them by cable or whatever.

Failing that, I could replace the DG834G.

Does any manufacturer make an ADSL router (which supports PPPoA) and
also a compatible Repeater/Extender? I haven't managed to find any yet
(either they only do a cable/DSL router, or they only support PPPoE).

A search for "wireless repeater" on the netgear site generates several hits.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101409.asp
this one is for a WG302 acting as a repeater from a WG602 - note there isnt
anything in the 602 setup which has repeater settings, only on the 302.

there is a review on amazon that mentions this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/c...150586-0475804

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl