Routers and DNS - getting the right DNS server addresses

Old January 26th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Routers and DNS - getting the right DNS server addresses

On our small SoHo network I set all the computers on the network so
that they use the router for their DNS.

Our old (now sold) Lancom ISDN router used to obtain the DNS addresses
that it would use in turn from the ISP automatically when it
connected, it did this at the same time as it got its own address etc.

However my new ADSL router (a Zyxel 660H) doesn't seem to be so
clever, it doesn't seem to have the ability to obtain the DNS
addresses, you have to put them in manually. In addition to this it
only seems to be possible to use the router as the LAN DNS if you also
set it up as a DHCP server. Is this the norm or are there other ADSL
routers which are more flexible? I'd really prefer not to have the
router act as DHCP server but I would like it to find the DNS
addresses itself. (see my separate posting with another question for
one reason for this).

--
Chris Green