router and switch

Old February 23rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default router and switch

I have a D-Link wireless 4 port router downstairs. One of the ports is used
to wire up a games console upstairs and the cable goes outside of the house
and up through a hole under the window.
I wish to connect other games consoles to the net. Rather than putting
another wire outside, could I plug a switch upstairs into the cable and feed
the consoles from the switch? Will it affect the connection in any way?
Thanks.

Old February 23rd 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Brian Morrison wrote:
On 23/02/06 Beck wrote:
I wish to connect other games consoles to the net. Rather than
putting another wire outside, could I plug a switch upstairs into
the cable and feed the consoles from the switch?

Yes.

Will it affect the connection in any way?

No, in fact it will be slightly better in that the traffic to/from the
net will be isolated in the cable between the router and switch and
traffic on the local network will be routed by the switch.

My home network works exactly this way and it's quite happy.

Thanks for the quick reply. Most helpful. It won't affect the PC on the
other connection (outside of switch) will it? I am sure it won't but just
need to double check.

Old February 23rd 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Brian Morrison wrote:

It will be fine if plugged into the router's ethernet ports, the
router has an ethernet switch in it too so it is equivalent.

Thanks muchly.