MAX ADSL

Old February 23rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Default MAX ADSL

Anyone care to estimate what speed I'll sync at with these line stats.
Currently on 2Mb with plusnet. I'm guessing I'm out of reach of the magicall
8000 figure.

Line stats are

Downstream Rate : 2272 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 288 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 24 db
Upstream Margin : 22 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 38
Upstream Line Attenuation : 21
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

My downstream SNR does vary between 26db and 20db though 24db is the
average figure.

Thanks

Dan

Old February 23rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Daniel wrote:
Anyone care to estimate what speed I'll sync at with these line stats.
Currently on 2Mb with plusnet. I'm guessing I'm out of reach of the magicall
8000 figure.

snip
My downstream SNR does vary between 26db and 20db though 24db is the
average figure.

You _might_ get nearly 8M, but with very little margin.
So little that it's probable that they won't enable it.
I'd expect somewhat higher.
Old February 23rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
Ian Stirling wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Anyone care to estimate what speed I'll sync at with these line stats.
Currently on 2Mb with plusnet. I'm guessing I'm out of reach of the
magicall 8000 figure.

snip
My downstream SNR does vary between 26db and 20db though 24db is the
average figure.

You _might_ get nearly 8M, but with very little margin.
So little that it's probable that they won't enable it.
I'd expect somewhat higher.

But surely the point of MaxADSL is that you get what the line will support
at 10dB SNR margin, which *might* be 8 megs but may well be somewhat less?

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address

This will give you an estimate
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Old February 23rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Brian Morrison wrote:

But surely the point of MaxADSL is that you get what the line will
support

Yup, mine settled down to about 5 and a half M, although it tried (and
failed) several times to get up to around 7M during its training
period. Which was a bit of a bore at the time, since it seemed to
pick the times of day when I was busy using it :-(

But after a week or so of twiddling (they said, up to 10 days) after
the "upgrade", it settled down, and has been pretty stable since.
Old February 23rd 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Nicola Redwood wrote:

This will give you an estimate
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Oooh. I bunged in my stats, Present Speed 512k, Att 63.5, SNR 19dB

Says I could get 744k (a 50% increase for me!) Is that likely, I
thought if your line length is more than about 3.5km Max ADSL offers
no improvement ?

--
Mark
Old February 23rd 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:25:50 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Nicola Redwood wrote:

This will give you an estimate
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Oooh. I bunged in my stats, Present Speed 512k, Att 63.5, SNR 19dB

Says I could get 744k (a 50% increase for me!) Is that likely, I
thought if your line length is more than about 3.5km Max ADSL offers
no improvement ?

But what that means is that if BT let you, it would work at 744K
*now*.

Mine comes out at just over 1Mb, with attenuation of 63dB and SNR of
23.3. But so far they won't let me try more than 512K :-(
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Old February 24th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Alan J. Flavell wrote:

Yup, mine settled down to about 5 and a half M, although it tried

It would be useful to know the 'before' and 'after' figures for the
attenuation and SNR on your line, as speed you get, in isolation,
means little to someone looking for comparison / information.

Old February 24th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Peter M wrote:

Yup, mine settled down to about 5 and a half M, although it tried

It would be useful to know the 'before' and 'after' figures for the
attenuation and SNR on your line,

When it was at 2M, I happened to notice these values (it varied a bit
over time):

Local Line Atten.: 31.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 18.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 20.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 27.0 dB

Now that it's settled down on Max, the critical factor seems to be
the "Local SNR Margin", which is around 6dB. As I'm in the office at
the moment, I can't give you the full set of numbers.

as speed you get, in isolation, means little to someone looking for
comparison / information.

I'm not sure that just my one set of before/after numbers was really
of any use to the earlier poster - I assumed they'd be able to get
their predictions elsewhere, particularly as their speeds seem to be
very different from mine - I was merely commenting about my experience
on how it had happened in practice.

cheers
Old February 24th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Alex Heney wrote:
But what that means is that if BT let you, it would work at 744K
*now*.

Mine comes out at just over 1Mb, with attenuation of 63dB and SNR of
23.3. But so far they won't let me try more than 512K :-(

Assuming DS margin is the same as SNR (cannot find snr in stats) then I am
having a good result (with 58db downstream) - says I should be able to have
2mb line. Still on 512 service though.