Sipgate : Call Signalling Investigation

Old February 23rd 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Default Sipgate : Call Signalling Investigation

Some readers of this group will be aware that I've promised to detail my
findings from an analysis of SIP calling problems I've been experiencing
recently with Sipgate.

Well this is now done. The full report (27 pages) is sat on my anonymous
FTP server and can be downloaded. It makes interesting reading, discussing
problems that result in the lack of a ring tone and call failures.

The report has been written in Open Office and therefore its native document
will be the best formatted. However, I have also created a MS-Word
version, which, although not formatted as well, is readable.

Open Office document: sipgate_call_analysis.odt
Word document: sipgate_call_analysis.doc

The documents are located in directory: /pub/sip

The ftp server is: ftp.hapy.co.uk

It has an 'anonymous' login, therefore the document is freely available to
all.

Feel free to ask questions and point out mistakes!

Regards,
Andrew

Old February 23rd 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Andrew (G0RVM)" wrote in message
. uk
Some readers of this group will be aware that I've
promised to detail my findings from an analysis of SIP
calling problems I've been experiencing recently with
Sipgate.

Well this is now done. The full report (27 pages) is sat
on my anonymous FTP server and can be downloaded. It
makes interesting reading, discussing problems that
result in the lack of a ring tone and call failures.

Interesting reading. Have you informed Sipgate of this..? I am sure they
will be interested.

Ivor

Old February 24th 06, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Keith Lawrence

"Andrew (G0RVM)" wrote...

Feel free to ask questions and point out mistakes!

A very interesting and informative report Andrew! The one thing that I feel
is lacking is a graphic mapping success/failure against time, there
certainly seems to be a batch around 19:30 on 21st where there were repeated
problems.

Your overall success/failure stats mirror pretty closely my own perceptions
of the Sipgate service, I'd put it at around the 60% reliability level for
PSTN calls as well. That's my own very unscientific 'feel' for the service
over this past week or so.

For a free service Sipgate don't do bad, when it works it seems to work
reasonably well. But reliable it isn't. Several times this past few days
I've abandoned the Sipgate phone for my Gradwell one (same ATA, same
network) in sheer frustration, what fails on the Sipgate magically works on
the Gradwell a few seconds later. So I'm not sure how much blame can be
placed client side and on general internet loading, I think that the
majority of the problems rest with Sipgate.

Thanks for that, appreciated.

Keith L

Old February 24th 06, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Keith Lawrence

wrote...

I think that the majority of the problems rest with Sipgate.

All problems point to Sipgate Keith always have always will unless
they start charging for geo numbers and spending the extra money on
more staff and better hardware .

I totally agree, it is a free service and it delivers the level of service
and reliability that people are paying for! I only have a problem with that
when people or the supplier claim differently :-) The following is a summary
I posted to the voip.org.uk forums a while back -

Q : "But would other users recommend an alternative, paid for service such
as Gradwell?"

I've only just started delving around this area and my experience is -

a) It depends on what you want
b) You get what you pay for

Sipgate is free and cheap, it has roughly the level of availablity and
customer support that I would expect from a free service. Get down to the
level of the VOIPStunt's of this world and the service degrades accordingly.
It depends entirely on what you want it for, if all you want is cheap
outbound, it's no great hassle if it's down, you don't mind the occasional
drop - then they are absolutely brilliant!

But if you want anything approaching reliability then you have to pay for
it, people simply cannot provide a near 100% service for nothing, people and
equipment cost money. I wanted a line to suppliment my business PSTN, not as
a primary number (VOIP is not reliable enough IMHO) but as a damn good
standby and one that I could move the physical location of.

I wont touch the likes of Vonage, too much up-front to lock you in and I
wont use any service that ties me to propriety locked hardware, I need to be
free to move if they fail to perform. I personally settled on Gradwell
because I have known of Peter for quite some time and he has a very high
reputation, they also run their systems on the same VOIP circuits that their
customers use so they do notice problems. I'm trying them on the three month
free trial, so far the service has worked and is solid from the very start,
excellent customer support as well.

At present I'm running two accounts through the ATA, a Sipgate and a
Gradwell. If it's not important and I want a cheap call I grab the Sipgate
phone, if I want to give out a number or use it for something more serious
(business faxes for instance) then I grab the Gradwell phone. You pays your
money and takes your choice as they say!

For a softphone I also run Skype Out, I have done for many months, I have
genarally found that service very reliable as well, I've probably been
putting 20 euros or so a month over their circuits.

So it really depends on what you want it for : Would I give up the PSTN? NO
WAY! For serious business type use I would not even consider the Sipgate
type account, far too unrealiable, so far (limited experience here) I have
found the Gradwell very good indeed, but you pay for it. For other use -
choose one, ideally choose several, be prepared to flit around and don't
even think about inbound. Just remember that with the free services you are
getting exactly what you pay for!

HTH

Keith L

Old February 24th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dellboy

wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:08:56 -0000, "Keith Lawrence"
wrote:

I think that the
majority of the problems rest with Sipgate.

All problems point to Sipgate Keith always have always will unless
they start charging for geo numbers and spending the extra money on
more staff and better hardware .
Sipgate seems to be run on a paupers budget and it shows, I wonder how
long BT would last if they gave free line rental and free geo numbers
out willynilly .

This is an email I recived regarding the problems with Sipgate:-

"Hi,

Unfortunately, this is something we are not able to solve immediately. We
are
installing more servers to help with the increase in customers we have had
in
the last weeks.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Best regards,

Frederik van Koningshoven"

Lets see shall we (I won`t be holding my breath)

Old February 24th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Andrew (G0RVM)" wrote in message
. uk
Some readers of this group will be aware that I've
promised to detail my findings from an analysis of SIP
calling problems I've been experiencing recently with
Sipgate.

Well this is now done. The full report (27 pages) is sat
on my anonymous FTP server and can be downloaded. It
makes interesting reading, discussing problems that
result in the lack of a ring tone and call failures.

Interesting reading. Have you informed Sipgate of this..? I am sure they
will be interested.

Ivor

Not yet Ivor, but I will be dropping them a line pointing to the report...

Andrew
Old February 24th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Jono wrote:

Andrew (G0RVM) presented the following explanation :
[...]

How'd you get the upload speed? "4Mb/512Mb."

The link is 4 down and 512 up.....

Andrew
Old February 24th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Keith Lawrence wrote:

"Andrew (G0RVM)" wrote...

[...]

I hear what you say and it would have been nice to do what you suggest.
However, I am not aware that Open Office Writer or Calc will do that sort
of thing and anyway the call times are in the first table. If it was a
quick thing to do; I agree it would be good.

I am aware of the peak you mention, but I was constrained by the amount of
time which I could spend on this. The report would have benefited as a
whole from a larger sample of calls. It took quick a while to extract the
flow diagrams from Ethereal, analyse them and to then add the words.

For each call I would like to have shown the packets which it comprised on a
timeline. This I believe really would have brought home some of the latency
issues.

I will have another go over a longer period when I get a chance. In that
report I would like to include a comparison of the HT-286 and Cisco 7940
too. I guess, watch this space, however, don't hold your breath - it might
be a while.

If anyone knows of a piece of LINUX KDE software that can graph data onto a
timeline I would be interested in hearing...

I intend to trial Gradwell's service as I'm getting pretty fed-up with
Sipgate. Which is a shame as I do like the product. The reliability just
needs to improve. If that meant charging a small monthly fee then cool.

Regards,
Andrew

Old February 24th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Andrew (G0RVM)" wrote in message
. uk
Some readers of this group will be aware that I've
promised to detail my findings from an analysis of SIP
calling problems I've been experiencing recently with
Sipgate.

Well this is now done. The full report (27 pages) is sat
on my anonymous FTP server and can be downloaded. It
makes interesting reading, discussing problems that
result in the lack of a ring tone and call failures.

Interesting reading. Have you informed Sipgate of this..? I am sure they
will be interested.

Ivor

Sipgate have now had an email notifying them of the report.....

It was notable that one of the first sites to download the report last night
was in Germany. So they may already have a copy!

Andrew
Old February 24th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Maverick

"Jono" wrote in message
k...
Andrew (G0RVM) used his keyboard to write :
Jono wrote:

How'd you get the upload speed? "4Mb/512Mb."

The link is 4 down and 512 up.....

Andrew

Thought TW's upload was lower?

TW upload is 384 max