Which wireless router?

Old February 24th 06, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Which wireless router?

For my home internet connection I subscribe to Tiscali broadband
through their Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem, which connects to my PC
via USB. I'm replacing the PC with a wireless-enabled laptop and want
to go wireless but continue to access the Tiscali service. Tiscali
offer their own wireless router & modem for 78.99 plus p&p (see
http://www.tiscali.dslshop.co.uk/wireless.asp) but I've seen on PC
World's site several routers for much less than this, e.g. a Belkin
F5D7230UK4 54G for 34.99 (see http://tinyurl.com/pnxfy). I rang up PC
World, explained my setup, asked if I could use this and they said yes.
Their nearest store is miles away however so I went into my local
Dixons and found one, but when asking their staff for advice they said
this wouldn't work with my existing setup and that I would need an ADSL
router with a USB adapter - this seemed to make sense but the cheapest
was about 60. I am confused!

I tried emailing Tiscali's "dslshop" to ask whether I could have a
discount on the advertised price for their wireless router/modem,
having subscribed to their broadband service solidly for the past two
and a half years - worth a try perhaps, but they replied "I am afraid
you do not recieve any discount for being a tiscali customer the price
quoted is the price you pay." Probably to be expected... anyway they
also said if I used another kind of router they would not offer
technical support and couldn't guarantee that it would work.

I can live without Tiscali's "customer care" if I get the right
equipment - what exactly do I need and can I get it in the high street
for less than 78.99?

Thanks
TC

Old February 24th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:29 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

I suspect the price has not been updated on the Tiscali Shop as it is
60 direct from Speedtouchonline...

http://www.speedtouchonline.com/580datasheet.asp

Old February 24th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

Hi
I had a similar experience when I was told that I needed a
wireless/modem/router and not just a wireless router. I went into Maplin
and bought an INEXQ wireless broadband router. I have had no problems
with it whatsoever and it works fine as a replacement for the original
Speedtouch 330. One thing, you need a LAN card or facility on your
motherboard to make it simple. I have the main PC plugged into a hard
wired port on the router and use a laptop anywhere in the house to
access the Internet/local network. It was simple to setup and is easy to
manage. What more can you ask. Oh... it cost me 59-99. Hope this helps.

Ian
Old February 24th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks very much to you both. On balance it does seem 60 is about the
right price so I'll go with Speedtouch's own price. I'm very tempted to
moan at Tiscali's DSL Shop for hiking the price of the product, but I
suspect if I do that Speedtouch will hike their own price...

TC

Old February 24th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

wrote:

World's site several routers for much less than this, e.g. a Belkin
F5D7230UK4 54G for 34.99 (see
http://tinyurl.com/pnxfy). I rang up PC
World, explained my setup, asked if I could use this and they said yes.

thanks for the link.

Their nearest store is miles away however so I went into my local
Dixons and found one, but when asking their staff for advice they said
this wouldn't work with my existing setup and that I would need an ADSL
router with a USB adapter - this seemed to make sense but the cheapest
was about 60. I am confused!

They were probably thinking (not unreasonably) that you'd need USB to
connect and the Belkin probably doesn't offer it. FWIW, some friends
are using that model (not with Tiscali, but another ISP) and it works
fine - that's a rather good price too, I'll buy one as a spare, as
they have a lifetime warranty, and 0800 contact no., I think.

You would only need a network card and an ethernet cable to be able
to use a router without touching USB... It's how many, many, users
are connected... I switched from USB in 2002 and everyone I know
on ADSL has a modem/router now, they're reliable and fairly cheap.