Max ADSL and 512.

Old February 24th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Max ADSL and 512.

Will Max ADSL only be available for people that currently have 2M?
Old February 24th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On 24 Feb 2006, Ian Stirling wrote:

Will Max ADSL only be available for people that currently have 2M?

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as those
are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed possible will
be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

If you currently have a 512K service you will probably see a download
speed improvement however it is very dependant upon line quality.

Also note that there are almost 200 exchanges across the country which
will not be upgraded to offer the ADSL MAX service as they are based upon
an incompatible technology and BT are not upgrading them.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM Professional Hosting and Colocation
http://www.ukpost.com/ Up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98

Old February 24th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Jason Clifford wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006, Ian Stirling wrote:

Will Max ADSL only be available for people that currently have 2M?

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as those
are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed possible will
be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

If you currently have a 512K service you will probably see a download
speed improvement however it is very dependant upon line quality.

Thanks.
I guess I'll see about Mar 31 (maybe).
Old February 24th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Ian Stirling wrote:
Jason Clifford wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006, Ian Stirling wrote:

Will Max ADSL only be available for people that currently have 2M?

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as
those are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed
possible will be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

If you currently have a 512K service you will probably see a download
speed improvement however it is very dependant upon line quality.

Thanks.
I guess I'll see about Mar 31 (maybe).

I don't know much about Max dsl, will everyone be upgraded at all isps
providing the exchnage is enabled? Or is this a per isp thing?

Old February 24th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Jason Clifford wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006, Ian Stirling wrote:

Will Max ADSL only be available for people that currently have 2M?

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as
those are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed
possible will be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

If you currently have a 512K service you will probably see a download
speed improvement however it is very dependant upon line quality.

Also note that there are almost 200 exchanges across the country which
will not be upgraded to offer the ADSL MAX service as they are based
upon an incompatible technology and BT are not upgrading them.

Jason Clifford

I have a downstream of 58db and and upstream of 63db. I very much doubt I
will be legible for the newer system?

Old February 24th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:31:00 -0000, Beck wrote:

I don't know much about Max dsl, will everyone be upgraded at all isps
providing the exchnage is enabled? Or is this a per isp thing?

The exchanges will be updated, but it'll be up to the ISP to offer
different speed tiers eg. up to 1Mbps, up to 2Mbps, up to 4Mbps, up to
8Mbps, and price them accordingly.

--
Phil Chung
http://www.philipchung.co.uk
Old February 24th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"Beck" wrote in message
Jason Clifford wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006, Ian Stirling wrote:

Will Max ADSL only be available for people that currently have 2M?

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as
those are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed
possible will be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

2%? I would of thought it would of been higher than that. Maybe 20% of
something.

Dan

Old February 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Daniel wrote:

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as
those are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed
possible will be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

2%? I would of thought it would of been higher than that. Maybe 20% of
something.

Nowhere near 20%. To get the full speed you have to be practically within
spitting distance of the exchange. A fairly high number of users should be
able to get around 5Mb/s or so but very few indeed will see speeds of
7Mb/s or higher.

Still 5Mb/s is very fast - what are you going to be doing with it that
really needs even that fast a connection?

Jason

Old February 25th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Jason Clifford" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Daniel wrote:

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as
those are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed
possible will be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

2%? I would of thought it would of been higher than that. Maybe 20% of
something.

Nowhere near 20%. To get the full speed you have to be practically within
spitting distance of the exchange.

I don't think it's quite as pessimistic as that.

In theory anyone within 3.1km should have a good chance of getting somewhere
near the top speed.

I don't know what percentage of lines that equates to but the 20% estimate
is definitely closer than 2%.

Check out the following for more comprehensive info and details of likely
ADSL2+ speeds as well.

http://www.farina1.com/bookmark/0000...7/00020260.HTM

Stephen

Old February 25th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Jason Clifford wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Daniel wrote:

No, it should be available to everyone offering download speeds from
160Kb/s up to 8Mb/s although the actual throughput will be lower as
those are ATM speeds and protocol overhead means the highest speed
possible will be approx 7.1Mb/s and that only to 2% or so of users.

2%? I would of thought it would of been higher than that. Maybe 20% of
something.

Nowhere near 20%. To get the full speed you have to be practically within
spitting distance of the exchange. A fairly high number of users should be
able to get around 5Mb/s or so but very few indeed will see speeds of
7Mb/s or higher.

Still 5Mb/s is very fast - what are you going to be doing with it that
really needs even that fast a connection?

"Still 5Kb/s is very fast - what are you going to be doing with it that
really needs even that fast a connection?"

Seriously though.

I'd like to be able to share mpeg streams over the internet - from
digital satellite, so that me and a friend can record 2 programs at
once, not one.

I'd like to be able to have the webcam I have watching a remote building
site running at 25fps, rather than 1fpm.

I'd like to be able to run some of the emerging P2P live music and video
services.

I'd like to set up a couple of streaming webcams here.

I'd like to be able to remotely backup stuff.

Though, unless BT centrals change in pricing dramatically soon, this is
unlikely, even if I magically got MaxADSL at 7M/1M (or whatever), due to
ISPs being forced to implement quotas.