Measure line stats... how?

Old February 24th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

Default Measure line stats... how?

How do I measure my line stats ?
Hardware here is a Speedtouch 510 ADSL router...

We are considering SDSL install but 1/2Mbit is "amber".

What are the losses for SDSL so I can compare our existing system ?
Old February 24th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Doz
writes
How do I measure my line stats ?
Hardware here is a Speedtouch 510 ADSL router...

I use a Speedtouch 510 and I can access the router internal stats. This
done by opening IE (or your internet browser) and, when the home page is
established, typing in - http://192.1683.254.254 (the local IP address
for my router).

This will look internally at the router page, where you need to enter a
user name and password. The user name and password should have been
supplied by who ever supplied your router.

Under the "Advanced" menu (top LHS of the page) click -

Advanced/diagnostic

- then "expand all". You can now scroll down all the stats given to the
point titles "WAN/DSL". All the line statistics can bee seen there.

I post a copy of mine for information and what you can expect -

DSL Flavour = ADSL over POTS
Reserved Bandwidth (kbit/s) up/down = 288 / 576
Uptime = 1d 04:22
kBytes Tx/Rx = 14945 / 69470

Properties
Output Power (dBm) up/down = 10.5 / 14.5
Attenuation (dB) up/down = 31.5 / 60.0
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 19.0 / 11.5
Vendor Id (local/remote) = ALCB / TSTC

As you can see I am on 512Kbps ADSL, with large Attenuation a figures
(actually 63.5 dB down by BT engineer test) and low Noise Margin.

A Noise Margin of below 6 dB means the broadband will loose
synchronisation with the exchange frequently. Moreover, for every
doubling in speed the Noise Margin looses about 6 dB.

The Attenuation and Noise Margin tells me I am unlikely to get speeds
above my current set up until BT bring fibre from their exchange to the
local cabinet (likely to be years). I am 8 Km from the exchange, so my
figures are, relatively, good.

--
John Clark
Old February 24th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

John wrote in news:FqHFxKA0Ww
:

typing in - http://192.1683.254.254

That'll be http://192.168.254.254

--
Colin
Old February 24th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Doz wrote:

How do I measure my line stats ?
Hardware here is a Speedtouch 510 ADSL router...

We are considering SDSL install but 1/2Mbit is "amber".

What are the losses for SDSL so I can compare our existing system ?

AFAIK SDSL is installed on a dedicated circuit with an SDSL router so the
line stats for an ADSL circuit with an ADSL router won't really mean very
much!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:40:14 up 29 days, 23:58, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.08

Old February 24th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , cw
writes

That'll be http://192.168.254.254

Yes ... thanks

--
John Clark
Old February 27th 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

Belkin 7630 here, how do I do this please ?