Any wireless broadband providers about?

Old February 24th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
miav

Default Any wireless broadband providers about?

Hi, any wireless broadband providers about?

TIA

Old February 24th 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband/wire.shtml

Old February 24th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
_

This ISP looks to be a good one. let me know if you works out for you as may
try this myself at some point when available in my area

http://www.mynow.co.uk/

Old February 24th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis

"miav" wrote in message
Hi, any wireless broadband providers about?

TIA

Not yet, I thought there would have been more by now, maybe providing access
from central points like mobile phone masts. There would be a problem if it
got too popular as laptops wouldn't hear each other transmitting, so the
base would hear massive data collisions. It can be controlled with
protocols like DAMA but it's nto reliable. The frequencies in use are not
that good for built up areas and there isn't enough room.

Old February 24th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
_

"Dennis" wrote in message

"miav" wrote in message
Hi, any wireless broadband providers about?

TIA

Not yet, I thought there would have been more by now, maybe providing
access from central points like mobile phone masts.

Wrong... there's at least one around now. http://www.mynow.co.uk/ In fact in
Brighton the Devils Dyke pub offer a wireless service for those who can
receive it in the locality http://www.bubworld.net/nuke/

Old February 25th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Dennis wrote:

"miav" wrote in message
Hi, any wireless broadband providers about?

There's one in Kent, ISTR, that was mentioned in this froup recently. The
coverage map on their site is hilarious; it shows the whole of the british
isles, with about a pixel or two in the bottom right hand corner
highlighting where they cover.

Not yet, I thought there would have been more by now, maybe providing
access from central points like mobile phone masts. There would be a
problem if it got too popular as laptops wouldn't hear each other
transmitting,

You what?

so the base would hear massive data collisions. It can be controlled with
protocols like DAMA but it's not reliable.

I would imagine for a Fixed Wireless-type of service [that would be
analogous to domestic broadband, ie one connection per household], using a
directional antenna mounted on one's chimney stack [just like a terrestrial
TV antenna] would be the best way to eliminate collisions at the node
station end, and would massively increase the area that could be served by
a single base station. It would also improve perceived security of the
connection, as you'd have to be directly between the base station and the
node station to intercept the signal. This particular point is moot anyway,
as I wouldn't want to use a wireless connection that wasn't secured with
encryption of some sort.
At the base station end, the strategy employed would depend on the
number of node stations [ie households] you wanted to serve; It would
probably involve some sort of segmented antenna. If you weren't serving too
many nodes it might even be possible to install one antenna per node.

As for a mobile wireless service [that would be analogous to 3G data], your
only real option is to blanket the target area with base stations [aka
access points] and hope for the best!

The frequencies in use are not that good for built up areas

That's funny, cos when I ride the 2 miles from home to work though a very
definitely built up area, I can detect a minimum of 30 separate ESSIDs on
802.11b/g frequencies.

and there isn't enough room.

Generally speaking, the higher the frequency, the more bandwidth ['room']
available, but the more in common it has with visible light, ie less likely
to pass through the more solid objects seen in urban areas.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:10:29 up 30 days, 15:29, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.04, 0.01