Moving out of blueyonder area - can't find suitable broadband

Old February 25th 06, 06:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al Reynolds

Default Moving out of blueyonder area - can't find suitable broadband

Morning,

I am moving out of my telewest-cabled house in the next
month, where I have been spoilt for features on my
broadband connection. I've been looking for a new
broadband package to use over the ADSL line, but they
all seem a bit inadequate in comparison.

What I am looking for is:
+ unmetered (or ~80Gb+ for heavy months)
+ 1Mbit ideally, although 512kbit would be OK
+ 5 mail accounts, each accessible through imap and webmail

I would also like, but could just about live without:
+ smtp server with smtp authentication to use from other networks
+ usenet feed (text only would be fine)
+ static IP address

Anyone help me out?
Al Reynolds

Old February 25th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

news

http://www.demon.net/

Old February 25th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

Al Reynolds wrote:

I am moving out of my telewest-cabled house in the next
month, where I have been spoilt for features on my
broadband connection.

Don't worry, there are no "features" worth having with Telewest that you
can't get elsewhere.
Old February 25th 06, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Al Reynolds wrote:
Morning,

I am moving out of my telewest-cabled house in the next
month, where I have been spoilt for features on my
broadband connection. I've been looking for a new
broadband package to use over the ADSL line, but they
all seem a bit inadequate in comparison.

What I am looking for is:
+ unmetered (or ~80Gb+ for heavy months)
+ 1Mbit ideally, although 512kbit would be OK
+ 5 mail accounts, each accessible through imap and webmail

I would also like, but could just about live without:
+ smtp server with smtp authentication to use from other networks
+ usenet feed (text only would be fine)
+ static IP address

Anyone help me out?

Not directly, however, what I'd advise you to do, and start to think
about it now is the separate your email (and usenet) access from your
connectivity provider. Register your own domain, pay for it and use
it. Then you can change ISPs whenever you want to and never need to be
tied into their email system because you have your own. I've had my
own email address for over 10 years now, and I can use it no-matter
who I use to connect to the Internet.

Places to look for independant email & domains might be www.gradwell.net,
www.ukfsn.org, www.hostroute.co.uk to name just 3. There are 100's of
small (& big!) ISPs who offer this service. You can get deals for under
25 a year for a handfull of pop/imap boxes, your own domain name and
sometimes even web space thrown in, but you do get what you pay for!!!

And if you want unlimited downloads at up to 2Mb speeds and are prepared
to pay for it, then I'd recomend Zen, who I currently use, but it's 35 a
month for their 2Mb service, but start by going to www.adslguide.org.uk
and having a look at their forums, charts, etc. You have well over 100
ISPs to choose from.

Gordon
Old February 25th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

What I am looking for is:
+ unmetered (or ~80Gb+ for heavy months)
+ 1Mbit ideally, although 512kbit would be OK
+ 5 mail accounts, each accessible through imap and webmail

Eclipse will do this

I would also like, but could just about live without:
+ smtp server with smtp authentication to use from other networks
+ usenet feed (text only would be fine)
+ static IP address

And the last two of these. Though with a static address you could run your
own SMTP server. I think they will allow this.

Anyone help me out?

I think Eclipse, Zen and Demon will all fit the bill.

http://www.demon.net/

Old February 25th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Not directly, however, what I'd advise you to do, and start to think
about it now is the separate your email (and usenet) access from your
connectivity provider.

I'd certainly 'second' that advice - saves messing with ISP-based mail
and who you 'need to tell' when switching in the future.

25 a year for a handfull of pop/imap boxes, your own domain name and
sometimes even web space thrown in, but you do get what you pay for!!!

Clara does mail + news (10 GB/month) plus a domain name and hosting all
for 29.99/year. The mail can handle filtering to drop/redirect/forward
items based on contents of any headers... See www.clara.net/btbroadband
(I've used their 9/.99 mail + news [text only] for a while now, but will
still be considering the 29.99 a/c when next I switch ISP).

if you want unlimited downloads at up to 2Mb speeds and are prepared
to pay for it, then I'd recomend Zen, ... but it's 35 a month

The 'unlimited' only applies for accounts before 01/03 and then there's
a cap of 50 GB for downloads... another poster mentioned this some days
ago, though I've not looked at Zen for my own use. Peter M.
Old February 25th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 06:46:44 GMT, "Al Reynolds"
wrote:

Morning,

I am moving out of my telewest-cabled house in the next
month, where I have been spoilt for features on my
broadband connection. I've been looking for a new
broadband package to use over the ADSL line, but they
all seem a bit inadequate in comparison.

What I am looking for is:
+ unmetered (or ~80Gb+ for heavy months)
+ 1Mbit ideally, although 512kbit would be OK
+ 5 mail accounts, each accessible through imap and webmail

I would also like, but could just about live without:
+ smtp server with smtp authentication to use from other networks
+ usenet feed (text only would be fine)
+ static IP address

Anyone help me out?
Al Reynolds

For the majority of these you can get an account with Entanet via a
reseller (they don't sign you up directly).

Max 30 account gives you 30GB peak and 300GB off peak usage. Peak is
Mon-Fri 08:00 - 22:00. Should cost you around 20 per month inc. VAT.
The speed will be the highest speed available, so 8Mbps if you're
lucky enough when your exchange is upgraded.

Static IP address is standard, reverse DNS can be arrange FOC through
support if you want to run your own mail server (yes, even on a home
connection), although smart relay for any domain (doesn't have to be
hosted with Entanet) can be arranged, again through support.

There's a text Usenet feed.

Entanet were nominated for "Best Light Consumer Broadband" at the ISPA
awards - but lost out to another provider unfortunately.

Jake
--
Address munged but valid - remove mungbeans.
Old February 25th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

:
[...]
Take a look @ Plusnet Broadband Premier.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old February 25th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Peter M wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

if you want unlimited downloads at up to 2Mb speeds and are prepared
to pay for it, then I'd recomend Zen, ... but it's 35 a month

The 'unlimited' only applies for accounts before 01/03 and then there's
a cap of 50 GB for downloads... another poster mentioned this some days
ago, though I've not looked at Zen for my own use. Peter M.

Doh! I'd read that they were putting the caps on the DSLMAX products,
(ie. up to 8Mb) but didn't realise they were effectively stopping the
existing products. Hmph.

Gordon
Old February 26th 06, 03:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kal

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:42:05 GMT, Al Reynolds wrote:

Cheers for the advice so far people.

It seems most providers don't offer one or both of
imap emails and usenet, so I'm going down the road
of using separate providers for these.

I'm using 1and1 for my email (0.69pcm for 5 IMAP addresses).
I'll probably use news.individual.net for my usenet (euro10pa).

That just leaves me with:
+ unmetered (or ~80Gb+ for heavy months)
+ 1Mbit ideally, although 512kbit would be OK
+ smtp server with smtp authentication to use from other networks
+ static IP address

Someone has already mentioned Eclipse. They provide 10x 50Mb POP3/IMAP
mailboxes, a Giganews usenet feed (2 connections, 16KB each) and free
optional staic IP. The only thing they don't have is SMTP authntication.

17.99 for 512K unlimited
23.95 for 1MB unlimited