How can i stop the echo

Old February 25th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cogs

Default How can i stop the echo

Hi All

I have been using voip for around 6 months using an ATA-386 and
voiptalk. Really pleased with the overall service however there is a
slight echo during calls. Is this a part of voip that i will need to
live with or does anyone have any idea of maybe a setting change.

Cheers

Cogs
Old February 25th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Cogs wrote:
Hi All

I have been using voip for around 6 months using an ATA-386 and
voiptalk. Really pleased with the overall service however there is a
slight echo during calls. Is this a part of voip that i will need to
live with or does anyone have any idea of maybe a setting change.

Cheers

Cogs

I also use voiptalk - with no echo. Are you using the voiptalk settings
recommended on their website and is your firmware updated (version
1.0.2.16)?

Old February 25th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cogs

Hi Paul

Thanks for this, i will try new firmware, what is youe 'send DTMF' set to?

cheers

Cogs

Old February 26th 06, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Foster

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:23:10 -0000, paul123 wrote:

what is youe 'send DTMF' set to?

Good question, I had my BT101 setup using dtmf=SIPinfo and I'm now
using VoipTalk registered through asterisk (also) with dtmf=SIPinfo,
whereas on their website, VoipTalk have that set to dtmf=RTP....

I'd experiment a bit if I were you...

I found that it works on either for dialling out calls, but it won't work
properly for DTMF signalling for things like 'if you want sales - press 1'
etc unless you set it for SIPinfo.

Alan.

Old February 26th 06, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"Alan Foster" wrote in message
news[email protected]
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:23:10 -0000, paul123 wrote:

what is youe 'send DTMF' set to?

Good question, I had my BT101 setup using dtmf=SIPinfo and I'm now
using VoipTalk registered through asterisk (also) with dtmf=SIPinfo,
whereas on their website, VoipTalk have that set to dtmf=RTP....

I'd experiment a bit if I were you...

I found that it works on either for dialling out calls, but it won't work
properly for DTMF signalling for things like 'if you want sales - press 1'
etc unless you set it for SIPinfo.

Alan.

DTMF settings will have nothing to do with echo... echo is normally
digitally minimised by the ATA (it cancels out leakage in the phone itself
from earpiece to microphone), first thing to do would be do is upgrade tot
he latest firmware, as it might contain a newer mathematical formula to work
out how much of an echo it needs to cancel out.

DTMF sending however is as follows, and is only used when pressing digits
once a call is connected such as banking: SIP info is where your ATA sends
out a signal when you press a button on your phone, and the tone is then
generated and sent down the line from the server of your provider. From your
ATA only a signal is sent out, which the SIP server recognises as 'generate
a tone for button x', then adds in the tone from the server onwards to the
called line. The other setting is where the ATA doesn't send out a signal,
it sends the tone down the line originating from your box in the audio
stream, which sometimes doesn't work properly as the audio stream that it is
sent down (compared to a digital signal message in the former) is subject to
compression and break-up due to packet loss.

Alex

Old February 26th 06, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cogs

I have loaded the latest firmware and this seems to have done the trick.

Thanks all for your help and the info on DTMF.......

Cheers

Cogs