Draytek Vigor (wireless) routers

Old February 25th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nobody

Default Draytek Vigor (wireless) routers

Hi,

1. Anyone know of dealers for these products in London (apart from
SEG)?

2. Just how good are they compared to the cheaper models from
Linksys/Belkin etc.

I'm asking as the SEG website says their forums are not for asking
such questions (if they are even operational)and there seems to be a
dearth of such info/comparisons to find. Can't even downloads
manuals for a peek either.

TIA
Old February 25th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:46:24 +0000, Nobody
wrote:

Hi,

1. Anyone know of dealers for these products in London (apart from
SEG)?

2. Just how good are they compared to the cheaper models from
Linksys/Belkin etc.

I'm asking as the SEG website says their forums are not for asking
such questions (if they are even operational)and there seems to be a
dearth of such info/comparisons to find. Can't even downloads
manuals for a peek either.

Go to ftp.draytek.com

Lots of useful docs there.

I've got an older non wifi model and am delighted with it but you are
really paying for extras whichg the average person doesn't really use,
eg - VPN servers.

Geoff Lane

Old February 25th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

1. Anyone know of dealers for these products in London (apart from
SEG)?

Bought mine online from http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/

Geoff Lane

Old February 25th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

Nobody wrote:

Hi,

1. Anyone know of dealers for these products in London (apart from
SEG)?

2. Just how good are they compared to the cheaper models from
Linksys/Belkin etc.

Can't help with dealers etc, but as far as "2" is concerned, I'm running the ZyXEL
Prestige 2502HW here and I'm very pleased. It's wireless, has VOIP built in and is a
lot cheaper than the Draytek. I got mine from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk it was around
£93 inc VAT and delivery IIRC.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old February 26th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hybrid

"Nobody" wrote in message
Hi,

1. Anyone know of dealers for these products in London (apart from
SEG)?

2. Just how good are they compared to the cheaper models from
Linksys/Belkin etc.

I'm asking as the SEG website says their forums are not for asking
such questions (if they are even operational)and there seems to be a
dearth of such info/comparisons to find. Can't even downloads
manuals for a peek either.

What model are you looking for?
The 2600G is the older model but is still rock solid. I recently bought one
from eBay for £40 although I see the prices have went back up.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/index.html Join their forum. Loads of info
in there.

Places to buy
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/inde...acturers_id=49
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?CategoryID=80
http://www.seg.co.uk/
http://www.dslsource.co.uk/

Oops just noticed you asked for dealers in London.

Old February 26th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nobody

[SNIP]

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions etc.

Best regards.
Old February 27th 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Linker3000

Nobody wrote:
[SNIP]

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions etc.

Best regards.

One thing I'd add - I get to play with a lot of networking kit in my
role and have fired up a lot of different routers in my office. I would
recommend the Drayteks wholeheartedly from a reliability viewpoint, but
I have found their wireless implementation is the weakest - I have run
the following wireless ADSL modem/routers in the office, each unit
situated in exactly the same spot for a week, and the performance in
terms of signal strength is in this order (best first):

2Wire (80%+ signal strength on next floor up)
LinkSys (60-70%)
Safecom (Guru Branded) budget model from eBuyer (£39.99!!) (60-70%)
Netgear (60-70%)
Draytek (40-50% with occasional signal loss. The signal loss was fixed
by a firmware update but the signal strength was not improved)

The tests were repeated with second units to ensure that results were
not one-offs

In general, I have found that the Drayteks are the most reliable - one
unit has just been rebooted (following a power glitch) after 1 year and
9 months contiguous uptime.