Wireless broadband

Old February 25th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JnJ

Default Wireless broadband

I am a very long way from my nearest exchange and, although broadband
was installed, including engineer visit, new face-plate etc., it failed
even at 256kbps. I've been told by a helpful chap at my local County
offices that BT are installing some radiating antennas about 7 kms away.
Does anyone know anything about the technology that is, more than the
limited information gleaned from the Council? Is this Wimax? It will be
a 2mb DSL service and BT are specifying a 249 a month connection charge
- ouch! However, the Council will evidently subsidise this for two
years. Any views on this are most welcome.

--
Jim
Old February 25th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis

"JnJ" wrote in message
t...
I am a very long way from my nearest exchange and, although broadband
was installed, including engineer visit, new face-plate etc., it failed
even at 256kbps. I've been told by a helpful chap at my local County
offices that BT are installing some radiating antennas about 7 kms away.
Does anyone know anything about the technology that is, more than the
limited information gleaned from the Council? Is this Wimax? It will be
a 2mb DSL service and BT are specifying a 249 a month connection charge
- ouch! However, the Council will evidently subsidise this for two
years. Any views on this are most welcome.

--
Jim

It's connection charge is too high, you would be better off with satellite
instead. 7km will not be reliable unless you have perfect line of sight and
no one close by has anything like cordless phones, video senders or other
licence free products running.

Old February 27th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

JnJ wrote:

[...]

BT are specifying a 249 a month connection charge
- ouch! However, the Council will evidently subsidise this for two
years. Any views on this are most welcome.

Yes, ask the council where the money for this 'subsidy' in order you
can play online games and download porn is coming from, and the see if
you can negogiate a discount on your Council Tax if you don't take up
the offer ;-)