why might my new phone not work with Vonage?

Old February 25th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default why might my new phone not work with Vonage?

Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
tried another phone and that doesn't work either.

Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.

Is there some compatability issue?

My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.

Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

Might the fact that my old phone has a power source for its answering
be boosting something?

thank you

Old February 25th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

wrote in message
oups.com...
Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
tried another phone and that doesn't work either.

Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.

Is there some compatability issue?

My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.

Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

Hi

There may well be two problems here

1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11
This means a DEAD phone
2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
adaptors* with the ring cct i them

Ian (* I do sell them, See www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/shop for details)

Old February 26th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ian wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
tried another phone and that doesn't work either.

Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.

Is there some compatability issue?

My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.

Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

Hi

There may well be two problems here

1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11

Even though an RJ-11 has only 4 connectors? (an RJ-12 has 6).

This means a DEAD phone

No it doesn't it means he has the wrong cable.

2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
adaptors* with the ring cct i them

He'd still get a dial-tone.

Ian (* I do sell them, See www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/shop for details)

Old February 26th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks guys. The answer was not all RJ11s are created equal, and that
by fitting a proper BT/USA adaptor we solved the problem.

piers