Max DSL and line length

Old February 26th 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

Default Max DSL and line length

Will the introduction of Max DSL have any effect on the current limitations
of line length? I can only receive 1MB at present because of the distance
from the exchange. Is there any hope that I will be able to have increased
speed when my exchange is enabled for Max DSL?

TIA,
Terry
Old February 26th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Mugwump wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Yes, you will most probably see some sort of increase as MaxDSL is
supposed to sync at the highest possible speed that your line is
capable of. Currently, BT limit connection speeds based on attenuation,
but these can be rather conservative.

Or do it yourselfe he-
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Interesting.
However, it asks for SNR, whereas some modems report SNR margin.
Is there a simple conversion? Add 2dB for example?
Old February 26th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On 26 Feb 2006 01:45:19 -0800, DLMatthews wrote:

Yes, you will most probably see some sort of increase as MaxDSL is
supposed to sync at the highest possible speed that your line is
capable of. Currently, BT limit connection speeds based on attenuation,
but these can be rather conservative.

If you post your line stats from your ADSL modem, its possible to
guestimate the approximate speed your line is capable of. Its the SNR
(Noise Margin) & Attenuation thats needed.

Thanks. How do I check my line stats? I'm using a Netgear DG834G and when I
log in I don't see anything relevant. Do I need some other software?
Old February 26th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Ian Stirling wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Yes, you will most probably see some sort of increase as MaxDSL is
supposed to sync at the highest possible speed that your line is
capable of. Currently, BT limit connection speeds based on
attenuation, but these can be rather conservative.

Or do it yourselfe he-
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Interesting.
However, it asks for SNR, whereas some modems report SNR margin.
Is there a simple conversion? Add 2dB for example?

Likewise my router does not have a figure for SNR, but has DS and US
margins. Would that be the same?

Old February 26th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"Terry_P" wrote in message
On 26 Feb 2006 01:45:19 -0800, DLMatthews wrote:

Yes, you will most probably see some sort of increase as MaxDSL is
supposed to sync at the highest possible speed that your line is
capable of. Currently, BT limit connection speeds based on attenuation,
but these can be rather conservative.

If you post your line stats from your ADSL modem, its possible to
guestimate the approximate speed your line is capable of. Its the SNR
(Noise Margin) & Attenuation thats needed.

Thanks. How do I check my line stats? I'm using a Netgear DG834G and when
log in I don't see anything relevant. Do I need some other software?

Log on to the Netgear Router
Goto Router Status Page.
At bottom of page click on Show Statistics. New window opens with the info.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old February 26th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DLMatthews

Its the DS (Downstream) statistics you're after.

Old February 26th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ukdiyuser

Terry_P wrote:
Will the introduction of Max DSL have any effect on the current limitations
of line length? I can only receive 1MB at present because of the distance
from the exchange. Is there any hope that I will be able to have increased
speed when my exchange is enabled for Max DSL?

TIA,
Terry

Max DSL isn't an improved technology, it's simply BT relaxing their own
guidelines as to what speeds they will support for a given line
attenuation. These guidelines have previously been set on the low side,
reportedly to give what BT regarded as an acceptable level of
reliability, but also perhaps with a view to being able to relax them in
order to sell a new 'Max DSL' product to maintain competitiveness
against growing customer interest in LLU products.

So yes there is certainly a chance that you will be able to get higher
speeds, but possibly at the expense of reliability, and nothing you
couldn't already get from an LLU ISP if you were lucky enough to have
LLU support at your exchange.
Old February 26th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:11:58 GMT, Paul Woodsford wrote:

Log on to the Netgear Router
Goto Router Status Page.
At bottom of page click on Show Statistics. New window opens with the info.

Thanks for your reply, Paul.
When I do what you suggest all I see is a table headed System Uptime with
columns headed Port, Status, TxPkts, RxPkts, Collisions, TxB/s, RxB/s and
Up Time. I'm using firmware 1.01.00.00. Yes, I know there are later
versions but this one works very reliably for me.
Old February 26th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:06:27 +0000, Terry_P wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:11:58 GMT, Paul Woodsford wrote:

Log on to the Netgear Router
Goto Router Status Page.
At bottom of page click on Show Statistics. New window opens with the info.

Thanks for your reply, Paul.
When I do what you suggest all I see is a table headed System Uptime with
columns headed Port, Status, TxPkts, RxPkts, Collisions, TxB/s, RxB/s and
Up Time. I'm using firmware 1.01.00.00. Yes, I know there are later
versions but this one works very reliably for me.

Later: I've upgraded the firmware to v 1.05 and can now see the line stats.