Slightly OT- BB cuts out when its rainy

Old February 26th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

Default Slightly OT- BB cuts out when its rainy

Recently my BTYahoo BB service cuts out when its rains or has been wet. It
can take 6 or more hours of being dry overhead for the router be able to
re-sync the service.

I have an over head cable from post to house- about 50meters over a main
road. The phones work normally but are noticably more squelchy / noisy when
its wet.

BT say there is no problem with my line under these circumstances, much to
my annoyance.

Rebooting the Router (DG843G) doesnt help.

I'm fairly certain the problem is one of the connections on the overhead
wire. Other than a 'tall lorry' which might snag the cable I'm abit stuck!

Thoughts?

Tim..

Old February 26th 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nelson

"Tim.." wrote in message
Recently my BTYahoo BB service cuts out when its rains or has been wet. It
can take 6 or more hours of being dry overhead for the router be able to
re-sync the service.

I have an over head cable from post to house- about 50meters over a main
road. The phones work normally but are noticably more squelchy / noisy
when
its wet.

BT say there is no problem with my line under these circumstances, much to
my annoyance.

Rebooting the Router (DG843G) doesnt help.

I'm fairly certain the problem is one of the connections on the overhead
wire. Other than a 'tall lorry' which might snag the cable I'm abit stuck!

Thoughts?

Tim..

Contact BT and tell them to put it right. Water is getting into the
connection box at the top of the pole by the sound of it.

Old February 26th 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flunkett Clogwheel

"nelson" wrote in message
"Water is getting into the connection box at the top of the pole by the
sound of it."

ROFL!

What about the other 5 or so miles of network? Do you think that as
watertight!

If you want to get it fixed DON'T report the fault as a broadband fault.
Repeat DON'T report the fault as a broadband fault. Report the line as
'Noisy' and put notes on it 'Noisy when it rains, broadband cuts out'. Do it
online at www.bt.com/faults and you wont have to speak to a droid. Either
one or two things is happening, most likely the wet is putting foriegn
battery from another line in contact with yours or foriegn earth. When it
drys out the fault vanishes.

Could be a wet joint on the pole itself or if you have the old figure 8
dropwire (grey usually and looks like bell wire) it could actually be rusty
where the insualtion is worn and the water is acting as a short accross it.
Then again it could be a number of things. What is for sure is it's probably
BT/Openreach wiring so report it as described ;-)

Old February 26th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Flunkett Clogwheel" wrote in message
. ..

"nelson" wrote in message
[...]

I indeed do have the figure 8 grey cable as the drop wire.

Will tackle it after dinner :

Many thanks,

Tim..

Old February 26th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flunkett Clogwheel

"Tim.." wrote in message
" I indeed do have the figure 8 grey cable as the drop wire."

If it passes through trees it's almost a cert, but can be where it is
cleated down the wall (The clip rusts to the wire). All that is then needed
is a drop of water and it puts a partial loop (short) on the line giving
feint transmission, noise and no sync with broadband (due to the line loss
increase). If it clears up pretty quickly after it stops raining it's a good
pointer. If its days it's more likely to be something else.

Get Openreach out (BT) say it's noisy in the wind and rain. That type of
dropwire is a mandatory change. However, engineers are lazy and wont bother
if they don't have to. Be polite but let the engineer know, that you know
the dropwire is meant to be changed as it is mandatory requirement of the
current network standards. Thrilled he won't be, but should comply ;-)

Good luck, and I pray for good weather for you........

Old February 26th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cyberdog

And if he does not some smart arse moronic auditor will probably find it and
give him a 10 point failure for being a bad boy. For not" COMPLYING" with the
"MANDATORY" requirement.

Old February 27th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Cyberdog" wrote in message
: And if he does not some smart arse moronic auditor will probably
find it and
: give him a 10 point failure for being a bad boy. For not" COMPLYING"
with the
: "MANDATORY" requirement.

Unless...

Fault is misbooked as 'Fault in exchange'/ 'Right When Tested' or the
clear is placed elsewhere. Or if it is stated the pole is not climable
due to low dropwires or other hazard, (and state hoist not available.)
Or ignore it. The chance of an auditor doing anything (if you can find
one) is rare.

BT engineers are disinterested. It's just a culture of helplessness
through **** poor management.

Old February 28th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Sucuba Dude' wrote:

BT engineers are disinterested. It's just a culture of helplessness
through **** poor management.

I'll go along with that, in my time I've spoken to over a dozen BT
engineers and they've all been friendly, reasonably clued up, and
generally helpful [well perhaps all bar one] but they've never had a
single good word to say about their central control and seem to see it as
the main barrier against good work.

Dave J.
Old February 28th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Lipscombe

Keep badgering BT. Its like wading throyugh treacle but you will get there
eventually

I had a similar problem which took them about a month to fix - eventually
they tracked it down to where the line passed through an elder copse. it was
rubbed right down to the metal in several places - amaxzoingly the broadband
still syncd most of the time.

FWIW the engineers were great.

Cheerw - Adma

Old February 28th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Keep badgering BT. Its like wading throyugh treacle but you will get

there
eventually

I had a similar problem which took them about a month to fix - eventually
they tracked it down to where the line passed through an elder copse. it

was
rubbed right down to the metal in several places - amaxzoingly the

broadband
still syncd most of the time.

FWIW the engineers were great.

Enginneer booked to come tomorrow afternoon (weds). Out of the blue, i got a
call from the Enginneer himself saying he's slack at the moment and was
tomorrow morning any good? *shocker*

Yes I says, and re-explained the drop wire scanario. No worries he says,
we'll re cable it from pole to house for you.

*fingers crossed*

Tim..