Broadband - faulty records!

Old February 26th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Moppett

Default Broadband - faulty records!

Friend has just moved into a house, which has had Broadband. His ISP
will not help, 'cos the records say it exists. There seems to be 2
possibilities.
1. The records have not been updated.
2. I found that an ADSL filter is still plugged in - could this fool a
line tester into thinking that BB exists?

Any suggestions, please?

TIA

John
Old February 26th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nelson

"John Moppett" wrote in message
Friend has just moved into a house, which has had Broadband. His ISP will
not help, 'cos the records say it exists. There seems to be 2
possibilities.
1. The records have not been updated.
2. I found that an ADSL filter is still plugged in - could this fool a
line tester into thinking that BB exists?

Any suggestions, please?

TIA

John

Yes, don't interfere, I am sure your friend can sort it out himself. You
don't sound like you know what you're talking about so you might just be
confusing him and the ISP.

Old February 26th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark eldon

Sounds like the previous occupant of property has not cancelled their
Broadband
"John Moppett" wrote in message
Friend has just moved into a house, which has had Broadband. His ISP

will
not help, 'cos the records say it exists. There seems to be 2
possibilities.
1. The records have not been updated.
2. I found that an ADSL filter is still plugged in - could this fool a
line tester into thinking that BB exists?

Any suggestions, please?

TIA

John

It has removed 0 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old February 26th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

John Moppett wrote:

Friend has just moved into a house, which has had Broadband. His ISP
will not help, 'cos the records say it exists. There seems to be 2
possibilities.
1. The records have not been updated.

It's unlikely that the ISP he's trying to apply with is referring to it's
own records when it says that 'it exists' [even though they may have said
"our records show that..."]. They have probably tried to place an order
with BT Wholesale, and BT have said the circuit already has broadband.

2. I found that an ADSL filter is still plugged in - could this fool a
line tester into thinking that BB exists?

An ISP wouldn't run a line test ['Woosh test' in the jargon] to determine
whether a circuit already has broadband on. They'd try to place an order
with BT Wholesale.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:17:25 up 31 days, 21:36, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.20

Old February 26th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pooter

John Moppett ] said
Friend has just moved into a house, which has had Broadband. His ISP
will not help, 'cos the records say it exists. There seems to be 2
possibilities.
1. The records have not been updated.

How long ago did he move? When I moved I cancelled a couple of weeks
before moving day but they told me it would remain enabled for the full
month and only then would it be cancelled - so the new owner of my flat
would not have been able to get broadband until two weeks after he moved
in.

2. I found that an ADSL filter is still plugged in - could this fool a
line tester into thinking that BB exists?

Irrelevant.

Any suggestions, please?

Use the BT broadband checker and see what it says about the line and
depending on what it says then perhaps ring BT to see if then can help
shed light on the current provider.
Old February 26th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flunkett Clogwheel

"pooter" wrote in message
"
Use the BT broadband checker and see what it says about the line and
depending on what it says then perhaps ring BT to see if then can help
shed light on the current provider."

Or ask BT to cease and reprovide the line with a new account and phone
number ;-) That will get rid of it!

Old February 26th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Flunkett Clogwheel" wrote in message
. ..

"pooter" wrote in message
"
Use the BT broadband checker and see what it says about the line and
depending on what it says then perhaps ring BT to see if then can help
shed light on the current provider."

Or ask BT to cease and reprovide the line with a new account and phone
number ;-) That will get rid of it!

That's expensive, but get them to change the number.

Old February 26th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DLMatthews

Just a change of name on the account is good enough to clear an ADSL
service off the line (no need for cease & re-provide). After the name
change is put through BT's systems, it will normally be approx 2 says
until the BT Availability Checker is updated to show there is no ADSL
service on the line.

Old February 27th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Moppett

nelson wrote:
"John Moppett" wrote in message

Friend has just moved into a house, which has had Broadband. His ISP will
not help, 'cos the records say it exists. There seems to be 2
possibilities.
1. The records have not been updated.
2. I found that an ADSL filter is still plugged in - could this fool a
line tester into thinking that BB exists?

Any suggestions, please?

TIA

John

Yes, don't interfere, I am sure your friend can sort it out himself. You
don't sound like you know what you're talking about so you might just be
confusing him and the ISP.

Many thanks for your help. The Post Office/BT must have wasted thier
money emplying me as an senior engineer for 28 years!!